• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i see gold taking off/////////// again

17 posts in this topic

will gold go higher?? it seems so to me i think 500 or more right after the next prez election

gold seems to me undervalued currently

what do you think??

and are saints in ms64/63 anx ngc pcgs better buys then gold bullion?

please excuse me if my question sounds lame, but how big is an ounce of gold, and can you just purchase it at any jewelry stores. i've been contemplating just buying bricks of gold for the hell of it, i think it's the time to buy. info is always greatly aprreciated. acclaim.gif

thanks in advance, laugh.gif

pimpy

An ounce of pure gold in coin form is about the size of a silver dollar and weighs about twice as much. Very easily transported and hidden, can be placed in any safe deposit box or discrete location. A Canadian Maple Leaf or US American Gold Eagle can be purchased at any major coin shop for about 3-5% over the spot price of gold. The redemption value is usually 1% over spot, so the premium on buy and sell is small for 1oz gold coins. I do not recommend purchase at a jewelry store or bank, since their markups are quite a bit higher.

TRUTH

For bullion, you are better off purchasing eagles or maple leaf coins, as they are smaller and would not require assay when selling (a bar of gold can be more easily counterfeited, so people usually like them assayed when selling). Maple leafs are pure gold, while eagles are only 91.67% gold, so with added purity comes greater softness, and you must be a little more careful with handling them. I must admit, I am a little leary about eagles and other bullion coins, simply because they are mandated as bullion by act of congress. That to me means that if in the future and FDR-style executive order came out again they could easily be confiscated. Saints and collectible coins have a better track record against confiscation as collectibles, though that is by no means a certainty. The drawback to old US coins is that they have extremely high premiums, so if you want to avoid that, I would go for Mexican 50-peso coins, as technically, they are not bullion, but they trade at very low premiums to bullion (each contains 37.5 grams of gold or about 1.2 ounces.

Personally, I like certified double eagles (my preference is for Saints, but libs are nice too) and I think they will outperform bullion, as they have since 2001 (bullion is up about 30%, and common date Saints are up about 35%, while better dates have gone up more than 50% in some cases. My preference for this denomination is that the premium over bullion value is lowest for these larger coins.

Finally, yes michael, I believe that gold and silver are both headed higher. I think silver is more undervalued than gold, but i think both are still undervalued, especially as the economy and inflation start moving higher. Many may disagree with me, and I am certainly not saying gold is headed right to $1000 an ounce, but I think we could see it trade over $400 for much of next year, perhaps coming close to $500.

History repeats itself in all markets. The stock market will be down for many years to come and then will come back with vigor. The gold market will also peak and then fall again down the road. And societies built upon fiat money will also eventually falter and be replaced. That's what history has told us. Markets rise and fall as do nations.

roadrunner

I also don't understand why Silver hasn't seen a rise......

There is simply too much silver out there. Every time it makes an upward move there are huge numbers of sellers who just want to get out at about what they paid for it at some time in the last 24 years. It is poor investment strategy but it is what many unsophisticated precious metal investors do.

"There is simply too much silver out there.

This is interesting and it may be true, but the ratio of silver to gold in the earth's crust is about 17:1. Historically, there has been a general valuation of sivler to gold that follows this ration, depending to some degree on supply from mining. This ratio is currently way out of whack. The valuation has been in and around 70:1 for a long time now. That's mostly because there has been a glut of silver primarily due to it being left out of circulating coinage. When the Mint runs out of supply and begins buying from the public again (which it is now congressionally approved to do), then silver will rise. That ratio of 17:1 will likely prevail in the long term. Just MHO.

Hoot

"There is simply too much silver out there.

This is interesting and it may be true, but the ratio of silver to gold in the earth's crust is about 17:1. Historically, there has been a general valuation of sivler to gold that follows this ration, depending to some degree on supply from mining. This ratio is currently way out of whack. The valuation has been in and around 70:1 for a long time now. That's mostly because there has been a glut of silver primarily due to it being left out of circulating coinage. When the Mint runs out of supply and begins buying from the public again (which it is now congressionally approved to do), then silver will rise. That ratio of 17:1 will likely prevail in the long term. Just MHO.

Hoot

I thought I heard that the mint had to buy all the silver it used this year as it's stockpile had run out last year.

re: Lucille -- I also don't understand why Silver hasn't seen a rise......

One reason, of course, is supply and demand. Demand in the x-ray/photography fields are diminishing with the popularity of digital cameras. Even in my job, cat scan, studies are increasingly becoming digitized, transmitted and stored w/o the need of hardcopies.

I am sure that quality color printers/copiers are also a factor since a pix can be reproduced without the use of silver ions.

EZ beat me to it. The content of the earth's crust and cost of recovery/processing + existing stocks in finished form or for melt = supply. Demand is the key. Demand for silver from industry and for coinage is very low and I am not aware of any new technologies for which silver is a critical element. If you are hoping for an upturn in the market, your best hope is that sterling silver placesettings replace chopsticks as the Chinese eating utensils of choice. smile.gif

The only thing that I can see that would cause silver prices to increase, would be the high cost of mining new ore. Silver in US mines today is mainly a by-product of copper or gold mining. Bingham (Utah) produces more $$$ of silver and gold than copper. Plus, it still is used for surface mount circuit boards and jewelry.

i think gold is the undervalued and future demand underdog

and even better than gold bullion are saints in ms63/64/65

for me

silver will only rise if gold rises and will piggyback on gold!

michael

RE: Michael: silver will only rise if gold rises and will piggyback on gold!

Excellent statement with which I agree one hundred percent.