• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about gold bullion coins.

10 posts in this topic

My wife wears 24k gold jewelry, so i know how soft the metal is.

my question is, in a .999 pure cold coin, is the coin soft?

can it be easily bent? (i would never try, but curious)

I ordered the 1oz buffalo bullion, and would never take it out the

case. So i wonder if its as soft as i imagine.

never owned a gold coin, so pardon the noob question.

thanks

Could it ever be bent? Sure. Almost any coin can be bent with the right force applied.

Could you bend a gold coin with just your hands? No way. Gold coins of high purity do scratch and get dings very easily though.

My wife wears 24k gold jewelry, so i know how soft the metal is.

Your wife might be wearing 18k jewelry (although that's doubtful in this day and time. The best stuff in the stores is usually 14k.), but there is no way she is wearing PURE 24 k jewelry. The stuff would be so soft that that you could bend it with your fingers.

Pure gold is only good for investment purposes. It's too soft for coinage or jewelry.

And yea, I don't know if you bend a 1 oz Buffalo coin, but I'll bet you could put a mark on it with your finger nail. Gold is the most malleable solid medal there is a room temperature. That means it can be hammered into sheets thinner than paper. And also means the stuff can be marked very easily.

Yes, these gold bullion coins are very soft. They can be easily damaged (I don't know how easily you could bend it), so be careful with your coin to preserve its loveliness.

Just got my Buffalo coin in the mail today.

Alot smaller than I thought it would be.

When I say bend, i mean being able to bend it with your fingers.

Yes in deed it is a beautiful coin.

I wouldn't want to bend mine.

as for my my wifes 24k gold jewelry.

yes its 24k gold, clasp bend to open and close

and is very soft.

main stream jewelry stores don't carry such type jewelry.

but can be found in ethnic areas like viet/spanish places.

pardon my PCness, but caucasion people usually don't wear or

even aware of such jewelry.

I don't know about bending a coin, but you sure as heck could bite a Saint and leave a mark, and that's only 22K!

There is plenty of "very near" 24k jewelry all through Asia. The intent is 24k but it’s just limited to the purity of the processing method. My wedding ring is 24k and yes it wears easily and you can bend it. Every few months I have to take it to the jeweler and have it returned to its original round shape. Jewelry with any alloy in the gold is not valued as much in Asia, much like the Nuggets and Maple leafs are valued higher than the Eagles and Krands because of the alloy content. The dollar value of the gold is the same but the perceived quality / status of a 24k piece is much higher here in China.