• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To conserve or not to conserve..That is the Question

17 posts in this topic

Just got this Half cent back from NGC graded G-4

as you can see from the scans its a bit crusty whats the chances of conserving the coin and sending it back for regrading for a F-5..

i have sent two other coins back in the past and one ganed 3 points and one 2

please note that the value of the coin has nothing to do with the question

1845917-NGC14.jpg

1845917-NGC14r.jpg893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1845917-NGC14r.jpg.85a010e508eb5f3ecfc2c8e6a23994e3.jpg

What, on earth, would you want them to do to that good looking coin? Turn it back to its original "RD" color? Restore the detail that was once present? Make it look bright and unnatural? What am I missing here? frustrated.gif

wink.gif

What, on earth, would you want them to do to that good looking coin? Turn it back to its original "RD" color? Restore the detail that was once present? Make it look bright and unnatural? What am I missing here? frustrated.gif

wink.gif

all i am saying is i would like the Gunk/grease flushed from the motto on the reverse. not turn it back to RD .. i have had NCS Flush coins for me before and they have always been gentle with the coins and taken the bair minimum from the coin..

Thanks for the "good looking coin" comment 893applaud-thumb.gif that made me very happy as i also think its a canny coin .. cheers Mark

hi.gif

Don't conserve it. And the next grade up would be a G6, and then VG8. F doesn't start until 12.

sorry.gif Chad foreheadslap.gif thats what i thaught but the NGC cencus for the coin lists F-5 the next step up which gives some hefty points on the regestry ?

Dooly, You have a nice original skin draped bust half cent. There is nothing you can do to improve this coin but leave it alone. makepoint.gif

Dooly, You have a nice original skin draped bust half cent. There is nothing you can do to improve this coin but leave it alone. makepoint.gif

i can sence a concensis brewing 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is nothing you can do to improve this coin by fooling with the surface. Copper collectors might brush and put CARE on it to prevent corrosion, but that's it. There are no conservation moves, as NCS defines the term, that can be done.

BTW the die variety is C-1, which is the most comon die variety for the year. The tip off is the fraction bar in the "1/200". It is what I call "the extended fraction bar."