• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any specific diagnostics for the 1922.............

16 posts in this topic

To my knowledge - there is only one. At least only one that has ever been verified. You can find an article about it as well as pics on Coin World's site.

There are only (11) specimens (according to QDB). One of which is VF30. The others are all proofs. The business strike has 2 extra short rays added to front of coronet. L and We Trust have been changed. Hair details and feathers are strengthened

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The 1922 currency strike dollar that we certified as high relief is actually of medium relief, but we called it high relief to avoid any confusion. It's bolder than the mass produced coins but noticeably shallower than the high relief coins of 1921 and the 1922 high relief proofs. The VF coin that Bowers mentioned is a worn proof, not a currency piece. There are presently no other medium relief examples confirmed.

In volume II of QD Bowers Silver Dollar book there are pictures and a write-up on the medium relief 1922 Dollar. There are also images and a write-up in Wayne Miller's book. I have attached an image (not great quality) from Miller's book.

245439-Miller.jpg.318713a1ade022dde06bc243a0854279.jpg

OT3,

The photos in the Bowers and Miller book are of proof high relief dollars, not the medium relief currency piece we certified. This is not presently illustrated anywhere, though we did photograph it for our files. I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Here are a couple of posts I made "elsewhere", some time ago, about Proof Peace dollars:

"Here are comments I've made in posts to previous threads about proof peace dollars (please note that the population figures I reported at the time might be different now):

1) We sold three different 1922 Matte proof peace dollars for a client a few years ago (edited to add: Don't let that fool you - despite varying estimates as to the number of known examples, I would estimate it at fewer than 30). I have also seen a number of the others, and, none of them could accurately be described as lustrous.

They have a sand-blast finish and are typically somewhat dull and grainy looking, with steely grey surfaces. The detail in their strikes is truly special, however. Once you have seen one in person, you will/should not mistake it for a business strike.

The Satin Finish Proofs display more vibrancy and flash, but, even they, do not possess prooflike surfaces.

It is a near certainty that more than 10 Proof 1922 peace Dollars were minted, despite what the PCGS Population Report shows.

Proof 1922 peace Dollars were struck in both High Relief and Low Relief. In addition to the five High Relief's appearing on the PCGS report, the NGC Census shows 12 High Relief's and four Low Relief's, with two of the latter being of the Satin finish, as opposed to the Matte finish variety. There are probably some resubmissions involved, but, based on the number I have seen over the years, I would bet that there are more than 10 in all.

2) Here is a bit of information regarding proof peace dollars:

1921's and 1922's were each struck in both Matte and Satin finishes.

The Matte proofs are easy to distinguish (once you have seen one, at least), due to their strike, color and surface texture. They are typically a somewhat grainy, dull and rather unattractive silver/grey color but are much more sharply struck than business strikes. It is a pleasure to view a fully struck, Matte proof peace Dollar, that shows the design in all of its detail. We sold three Matte proof high relief 1922's for a client 2 or 3 years ago - two were NGC PF65's and one was an NGC PR66.

NGC has attributed (3) Matte Proof 1921's and (14) 1922's, with two of those being low relief's, as opposed to high relief's. I would bet that a number of those 1922's represent resubmissions, as there are, most likely, fewer than 20 extant. PCGS has not recognized any proof 1921 peace dollars of either the Matte or Satin variety.

Edited to add - PCGS has recognized (10) Matte Proof 1922's.

The Satin proofs are much tougher to distinguish and quite controversial. I have seen a number of experts disagree over and argue about attributions of Satin proof peace dollars.

Walter Breen describes the 1921 Satin Proofs as having "scattered die file marks" on the obverse "up and down, crossing each other in upper left fields and through and around upper parts of letters in LIBERTY, these mostly parallel to horizontal elements of letters; others in approximately concentric arcs of circles. Triangular pellet stop after (S)T in unusually high relief, even more than the other stops. Rev. Rays in high relief; similar die lines."

He also describes the 1922 low relief Satin proofs as having finishes similar to the 1921's, with built up rims and noticeably superior strike in many design areas.

The legitimate Satin proofs that I seen displayed a somewhat vibrant, semi-prooflike appearance, compared to business strikes, along with impressive strikes. But, they are not nearly as obvious as are the Matte proofs and, as mentioned previously, some are quite controversial.

NGC has certified (12) Satin proof 1921's and (2) Satin proof 1922's. Again, some of those are probably resubmissions.

You can view images of some proof peace Dollars in the Heritage auction archives. The PR66 1922 they sold is the one we handled, though we were neither the consignor nor the buyer!

Edited to add: I believe we sold our two PR65 examples in the upper $30,000 to low $40,000 price range."

One of the easiest diagnostics to spot from a scan or a pic is the coronet. Look at the ray extending to the E in Liberty. If you look closely you will notice a much shorter ray just barely touching the bottom of the E with the high-relief 22s as oppsed to the normal business strikes. With a BS you'll see that the ray extends through half of the E.

Michael

The photos in the Coin World article are of the 1922 Medium Relief coin we certified. Again, this was labeled "High Relief," because that is what the marketplace understands, but it is a unique example of these dies.