• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A neat 1830 small 0, guess the grade, naturalness of it's toning etc...

30 posts in this topic

I just picked this up thru Premium Numismatics from a PCGS registry set that I suppose is mostly being sold thru this company.

My photos are essentially what it looks like, only cropped, they are not modified in any way. The only thing is I didn't capture the luster, which is significant, but that's aabout all I'll say at this point.

overton #?

Enjoy>

1845045-1830small0obverse.JPG

1845046-1830small0reverse.JPG

Fun looking coin, Mike. I don't track overtons so I haven't a clue, but it does look cool to me. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It certainly is a beautiful looking Bustie. I love the skin on it, as well as the doubled profile. I would say it is a possible 64 coin, unless they detected a slight rub, in which case it may be in a 62 holder. Even with a slight rub, I do not think a coin like this would end up in a 58 holder......thats market grading at its best.

As for the Overton, I am still trying to study the books, but I am thinking it is an Overton 102, which is a Rarity.3. I initially thought it may be an O-106, beacuse that variety is known for a doubled profile. However, the other diagnostics do not seem to match. As for the O-102, the date seem position seems to match, with the 3 in the date being a shade low. On the reverse, the left side of the I in PLURIBUS is centered under the T in STATES. Your coin also appears to have a small spike protruding from the feather just below the point where the right wing (looking at the coin) meets the body. All of these diagnostics match the O-102.

Hopefully, if I am wrong, someone will come along and correct me, as I am still trying to learn about the Overtons.

Again, nice coin!

I'll go with MS-61. I hope (in fact, I bet) it's just the lighting angle, but that is not attractive patination, in my opinion, as imaged. However, I love the doubled profile, and the strike is significantly above average.

The good guys are Premium Numismatics have bought quite a few of my bust coins over the years.

Congratulations, Mike. As pleasing to the eye, a CBH as I have seen and I have looked at many and owned a few. I would feel this coin to grade at MS63 with an Overton of 106. Again, great buy.

Sure is purdy! That doubling bothers my eyes tho. yeahok.gif

If it is close to full luster, my guess would be a 62 or even a 63.

Yes, it's an O-102. The tine coming out of the eagle's breast is the giveaway, unfortunately my photo doesn't show it well enough. I'll try to photograph with high mag and post them. It is graded PCGS MS63, and I believe, true to the grade.

Great coin Mike. I knew it was a MS busty but I didn't know what grade MS. Probably because I don't own any uncirculated capped bust halves. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

What a nice coin Mike! My 1830 is only an MS-61, but it's colorful!

Thanks Jtryka, I'd love to see it.

Here are the blowups c/w O-102

The E being lower than the T and also thin on the top

1847185-DSCN0014_edited.JPG

The tine coming out from the feathers

1847187-DSCN0019_edited.JPG

and the left side of I under the middle of T

well...almost the middle

1847189-IT.JPG

Mike,

Here is my O-118, before it got slabbed:

1830p50cobv.jpg

1830p50crev.jpg

Now it's just sitting in my bust half set!

That was a good choice in a bustie, Winston.

Jtryka, the luster on your coin is lovely, the color is amazing, must be very nice in person.

It's one of the prettiest bust halves I own Mike, I bought it at a local show too! The luster is great and although it's not the highest graded 1830, it is tied for the highest graded O-118!