• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking to subscribe to a coin magazine

29 posts in this topic

The magazines cost ALOT of money at my local barnes and nobles, and everywhere I look.
Barnes and Noble does let you read their magazines for free.

I picked CoinWorld because I like the weekly mailing - gives me something to look forward to each week

my last bill to them was 41.95 for the 52 weeks

Snowman

I like Numismatic News. It's weekly and I like the letters reading about what collectors think.

Coins is a good monthly publication. They are also a Krause Publication, like Numismatic News.

I subscribe to both.

Scott hi.gif

coin world weekly

it is mostly usa coinage some foreign in the back

it is a large format many pages publication

made with rag newsprint

www.coinworld.com

i like this one the best

rag newsprint? Is that magazine paper or newspaper type paper? I want to get a magazine that is well...a magazine.

I can't stand newspapers thats why I don't read the news.

coinworld is both weekly and monthly. there is the news paper type deal then there is the magazine which i get.both r worth getting.

I get coins myself. My wife got me the subscription. I like it except for the extensive advertising in it, but I think the TV still has more! 27_laughing.gif

there r some crazy deals in cw isnt there smile.gif

Some aren't too bad but it kind of sucks when you have 3 great articles on coins but the majority is advertising and then price guides.

i think there r more advertisments in thew mag then the paper. the paper has many more storys and hystory type goods smile.gif

Coinage is lousy, in my opinion, unless your main interest is big fluffy pieces on modern coins. If you want to read rhapsodies over state quarters and golden buffalos and whatever those modern walker knockoffs are, get Coinage. You'll learn all about the new Hawaii state quarter and in fact the whole history of Hawaii, which I am confident will vastly enhance your numismatic knowledge because that was a lifelong goal of mine as well.

Coinage is lousy, in my opinion, unless your main interest is big fluffy pieces on modern coins. If you want to read rhapsodies over state quarters and golden buffalos and whatever those modern walker knockoffs are, get Coinage. You'll learn all about the new Hawaii state quarter and in fact the whole history of Hawaii, which I am confident will vastly enhance your numismatic knowledge because that was a lifelong goal of mine as well.
I actually don't mind non-fluffy articles on moderns, especially since there are no modern books yet. I recently picked up a copy of COINValues Presidential Dollars & Collectibles primarily for the Beth Deishler article on Michael Castle which included images of Teresa Wenrick's concept designs that I haven't seen anywhere else yet.

But I'm turned off by "fluff articles" for both moderns and classics.

If you are interested in US coins, I would suggest either Coin World or Numismatic News. Both are printed on newsprint paper but are bound in the center and are smaller size than an newspaper (making them more like a magazine). Both are weekly and cost only a little more than what it would cost to get a monthly magazine.

Why?

First of all, information is more timely with a weekly. The deadlines for copy occur much further in advance of the issue date and the copy itself is written with the idea that it needs to set on the shelf for a month and still have appeal. As a result, the articles in monthlies are more timeless articles ("Seated Quarters a Challenging Series") rather than with information that could become dated ("Mint's xxxx Program Closing in on a Sell Out"). The articles end up being more mini-reviews that don't go into much depth in the monthly versus more newsy in the weeklies. (Neither, publish much in-depth scholarly research, by the way. For that you need to turn to books or some of the club journals). The same timeliness concerns apply to the ads. Ad deadlines for the monthlies are well in advance of the date you'll receive your copy and prices and inventory are often out of date. As a result, more of the ads are "presence marketing" with dealers encouraging you to consign to them, visit their website, join their approval program, see how great they are, etc. rather than actually offering merchandise for sale. When merchandise is offered, it tends to be things they are limitless in stock.

If I've convinced you and you have to decide between CW and NN, here are my thoughts (pick the one that best fits what you desire):

CW, the much thicker publication and probably averages 2x the number of pages each week than NN. However, the bulk of those additional pages are ads. This is great news if you are a person who likes to shop and buy out of those ads.

NN, only slightly cheaper than CW. Primary weakness is fewer adds. Content is good (I say CW and NN are about the same). Strengths: a lot of classified ads (subscribers get a free ad each week), a super show calendar, the industry's best coverage of modern mint issues (weekly updates on mintages, sales, etc.).

If I haven't convinced you and you absolute must have a glossy, full-color magazine, CoinAge is the best. It is independent of CW and NN and does a decent job with content. Pretty much the rest of the magazines are put out by the organizations that own CW and NN and (in MHO) consist primarily of recycled, watered down content from NN or CW repackaged in a different format so they can have another medium to sell ads.

WH

The magazines cost ALOT of money at my local barnes and nobles, and everywhere I look.
Barnes and Noble does let you read their magazines for free.

actually they are both weekly

i get them all. i find interesting reading in all the publications. i order them online from different mag houses,it's cheaper.

takeit.gif

I subscribe to Coin World, Numismatic News and Numismatist. I subscribed to CoinAge, but didn't like it because there were never enough informative articles and way too much advertising for such a small magazine. You can get Numismatist with an ANA membership. I like CW and NN because there are many articles about current events and they cover much more than just United States coinage.

Chris

I subscribe to Coins Magazine. Neat articles and price guides. I also take CDN (grey and green sheets), Coin World, and Bank Note Reporter.

That's what I'm thinking of getting. Coins magazine.

Montly right? So expensive...