• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bbed coins

22 posts in this topic

i have been thinking about body bagged coins.

i recently got a bb that i couldnt see any problems .unless they have xray vission the toning is coving any if any egsists smile.gif also a coin that said "rev imp cleaned"

IMO i figure they just throw out some bb like if u send 20 coins a random few will be bagged no matter what.i also think that its kinda being crooks to charge me full price for a bb. i dont mind paying for them to look but if i pay 30$ for early bird and i get a bb i would expect some money back since i didnt have to pay for the plastic and the work to put the plastic around coin. or a much better explaation of why the coin got bbed

30$ for a bbed coin is just outragious!

that seems to me like getting work done on a car paying for a top off and they come back telling me they didnt need to top off but that will be 30$ for us to take out the dip stick.

this is just a thaught and opinion. i am not bashing any grading companies! they still do good work!

please do go deeper winston

and also if any1 has ever sent in or know som1 that has sent in a bbed coin and it finaly graded?

Ant

Everyone hates BB'd coins, but they are a fact of life. There should be no complaint about the price as they tell you in advance that the charges are the same as the slabbed coins, so we know in advance this is the case. Also, the fact that the top 2 are so picky is the very reason they are so sought after. If you get an NGC/PCGS slabbed coin you feel pretty sure it is a safe buy at its posted value. This in turn causes people to buy sight unseen which is how the majority of coin sales take place currently. Not a great practice, but seeing as how dealers can no longer afford to hold local coin shows and the loss of most brick and mortar dealers in the last 30 years it is a policy we must live with. I also felt similar when I got back two of five BB'd coins, but such is life and the risk we take using TPG's. Oh, for the days of local weekend mall coin shows of the 70's and 80's. Good luck and hopefully you can sell the coin in hand to someone.

ICG grading company has a No-grade, No-fee policy. If the coin doesn't grade because of "problems" there is no grading fee charged. Maybe the other top grading companies should follow suit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I first submitting coins and because there was no one around where I live to help me select the most likely candidates for grading, I too received my share of BB coins. It didn’t take me long to figure out what to send and what not to send.

i do feel you thaughts! i dont fully mind bb coins, i just would like to know why at least my coin didnt make it. i know its a fact that some will bag but getting a rev imp cleaned doesnt tell me much. i dont mind getting the bbed coins so i kan see what i am looking for next time but i sometimes dont see a darn thing to note frown.gif

i just did this as a rant like questioning smile.gif i will always use the graders so i know the coin is good! cause im obviously not to par on grading.

ICG grading company has a No-grade, No-fee policy. If the coin doesn't grade because of "problems" there is no grading fee charged. Maybe the other top grading companies should follow suit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i was thinking that also but i dont see anything good coming of that! since they wouldnt be making the money(not saying it would happen) we could have lots of coins that needed bb, in slabs frown.gif just to keep the money coming frown.gif

as 1 person said it will happen to every1 sometime and they even state it.

i do think there should be a smaller fee for bbed coins but as they r now they take money b4 even starting frown.gif they would have to change alot frown.gif

Send them to ANACS. They all end up in plastic. And if you don't want them BB'd, send them to ANACS to have them screened, and then submit the coins that slabbed at ANACS to NGC or PCGS.

please do go deeper winston

Well I received a couple bags in my first submission. I can now see why those coins were bagged. Since then, I have sent in 10 coins to NGC – none bagged, and 8 to PCGS 1 – bagged. That one bagged by PCGS was a “toned” Peace dollar. I thought it was okay but could understand calling it “questionable toning.” Peace dollars are really outside of my area of numismatic study so I didn’t really have much business sending one in. I just did it to make up my 8th coin. So…I’m just saying that I haven’t received a bodybag that I think would fall into the “random BB” theory nor have I seen an instance of a BB that I believe didn’t make sense. To the contrary, I have seen many coins that I thought were questionable in top TPG holders.

I agree with you on cost. If you only receive part of the service, it makes sense to only pay for that portion that you received

Edited for: “I before E accept after C”

When I first submitting coins and because there was no one around where I live to help me select the most likely candidates for grading, I too received my share of BB coins. It didn’t take me long to figure out what to send and what not to send.

i am getting there but what do u do if u cant see what they do? how does that help? if they would tell us why the coin bbed it would help but if they did that they probly think they would loose money or something( i dont know) but it would help to know just why a coin didnt make it i think smile.gif

I would think it to be easier for a grader to miss something that’s there than see something that’s not.

( human error) confused-smiley-013.gif

As I recall there are 3 graders that look at each coin, so it’s not as simple as one person making a mistake. They also need to give a reason to BB a coin and no reason to slab a coin.

If PCGS and NGC did not charge for bagged coins then I would bet that they would be buried under an avalanche of cleaned, AT, puttied, tooled, etc...coins from folks adding them to their submissions in the hopes of getting lucky while realizing that there is little, if any, downside. Also, a bagged coin may actually take more human time from these services, which likely costs more than the slabbing procedure and, if this is the case, it might be argued that bagged coins cost the TPGs money in terms of a reduced profit margin.

If you send nice coins in they will typically get slabbed. I have sent perhaps 400 wildly toned or circulated classic coins to PCGS and NGC over the years. They have bagged five of these pieces for various problems, but then slabbed four of those five when I contacted them and told them why they were original. So, you might argue that they may bag a coin through carelessness, but they certainly will slab that piece at no charge if they are told why they are wrong.

very helpfull thaughts and thank you all for letting me know what u think. its alot easier to see the other picture if there is 1 so thanks again.

Some more questions on BBs.

Doesn't NCS try to fix the coin and assign a grade, if you ask them too?

Is there a combination service of NCS & NGC, so you'll get a grade/conservation even though it wouldnt get an NGC slab.

How does NCS play into this?

You can submit to NCS first. If they can conserve a coin, I think it can then be graded. Not sure if there's a charge for both. Of course, I think that BB would be a coin that is beyond NCS tho'. confused-smiley-013.gif

u can send to ncs for conservation then if u choose it will go from ncs to ngc and put in a ngc slab smile.gif

lots of good info in the ncs forum smile.gif