• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964-D Cameo Prooflike Jefferson

10 posts in this topic

I came across this coin at a small local show that several other forums members told me about. The obverse is fully prooflike and has a solid cameo. If it were a proof or SMS coin I think the obverse would qualify for the UCAM designation.

The reverse is not quite as prooflike as the obverse, but still highly reflective. The cameo is also much weaker, but still somewhat there for much of Monticello.

1964djefferson.jpg

I've run across PL and slight cameo business strike Jeffersons before, but none with the frosting like on this obverse. This one cost me 25¢.

Anyone else find these? I've never had any good luck in trying to sell them for a nice premium, but they are interesting coins.

From the same dealer I cherry picked a SUPERB GEM Accented Hair 1964 proof Kennedy for $8. WooHoo! I will spare the forum a photo of that coin. grin.gif However, it is a GEM with a nice light cameo and the cleanest fields I've ever personally found on one of these coins. And best of all is a 1974-D Kennedy that has a fair shot at going MS68 which would make it the top pop. At worst it goes MS67 which is still a very low pop coin. I paid $4 for it.

Some times the small local shows yield good buys.

From the same dealer I cherry picked a SUPERB GEM Accented Hair 1964 proof Kennedy for $8. WooHoo! I will spare the forum a photo of that coin.

Whew, for a minute, I thought we'd have to try and BAN you.

Nice pick Greg! Prooflike Jeffs occur throughout the series, but there are some nice surprises in the dates 1951-1964. I would not say they are at all common, simply not unheard of. I'd have bought it in a breath. What's the step count?

Hoot

Nice finds, Greg!! And why not post the pic? NO Cajones??? grin.gif But on a serious note, why shouldn't there be more nickels or other denominations which would show a PL surface? When dies are "fresh" (sounds like a bakery, shocked.gif) wouldn't they produce PL like coins during the start of production?

The steps aren't that great. I don't have a glass with me, but I believe only the top step is full and half of the second step. The "side steps" appear to be missing.

Nice finds, Greg!! And why not post the pic? NO Cajones??? grin.gif But on a serious note, why shouldn't there be more nickels or other denominations which would show a PL surface? When dies are "fresh" (sounds like a bakery, shocked.gif) wouldn't they produce PL like coins during the start of production?

All right, that is it. I'm posting pictures of both the Accented Hair Kennedy I found and the 1954-S Frankie (should go MS66FBL). I might even post pictures of the 3 other MS Kennedys I purchased. grin.gif

I also have a 1948-S nickel that is graded MS65PL by ANACS. It's also got a doubled die reverse. I've had it for about 15 years.

All right, that is it. I'm posting pictures of both the Accented Hair Kennedy I found and the 1954-S Frankie (should go MS66FBL). I might even post pictures of the 3 other MS Kennedys I purchased.

Great!!, Thanks, Greg... grin.gif I knew if I rattled your chain a bit, you would come through. 893applaud-thumb.gif Hey, if you had the nerve to admit to this local bunch of cutthroats stooges.gif that you bought a Kennedy half, the least you can do is to show it off! grin.gif I look forward to seeing it (and the others mentioned above) on here...

Interesting find Greg

I have heard that they were experimental pieces when they (US mint) were trying to come up with a different finish for their revenge of the 65-67 SMS sets. See attachment to view another. I also had a 2nd ANACS coin lost in the mail some 7-8 years ago. If your coin had a box set of steps, nothing sharp, I'd be very interested in that coin. Someday, I'll add a 48-S PL FS coin to my collection.

Leo

244490-M64DPL.jpg.7e74f0c9586aa15712937c02be1a7c90.jpg