• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tilt a bit to the left, no maybe to the right.....perfect!

5 posts in this topic

I know many of you out there do this when you have a coin with nice toning. Looking at it in one direction produces one effect/color, while tilting it another direction brings forth a whole myrid of colors. I, like most of us, have gotten lucky buying a toner that didn't look nice at all from the photos, only to find that "in hand" it was stunning! I found this one, and paid only MS63 money for it (the grade on the slab), so if the photographer didn't get the good side and the toning is nice and colorful from another angle, bingo!

Anyone care to share their toner story where they were pleasantly surprised with a toner's colors, and care to share the pics?

Doug

http://i23.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/a3/45/c457_1_sbl.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a3/45/c5d1_1_sbl.JPG

This coin is one of the most dramatic “color changers” I’ve seen. From one angle it looks like a dull brown 19th century Proof coin. From another angle it has these beautiful blue colors. The coin is in an NGC PR-65 holder. This is an expensive coin, but I didn’t pay any premiums for it. I guess I’d find out what it is really worth if I tried to sell it, which I’m not doing at this time.

The dealer from whom I purchased it showed it both ways on his web site, so I had an idea as what I would be seeing. I did have full return privileges.

1873QDark.jpg1874.jpg

Wow, Bill, that sure is a dramatic difference.

I've got a few Franklins where when you tilt it one way it looks yucky, while when you tilt it another it looks great. Here's the reverse of my '49-D:

Franklin49DN65Rev.jpg

...and here it is tilted properly:

49dms65-5Sm.jpg

49dms65-6Sm.jpg