• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Die sets worth it?? or just marketing??

14 posts in this topic

Looking at the US mint sight,

there are State quarters with Die sets.

I understand the value of the quarters, but the DIE set??

is it just another gimmic to up the cost of the coin.

or are the DIE set actually sought after and actually have value??

I ask because, i dont see how anyone could value the die set.

thanks

pardon all the new post with questions..

foreheadslap.gif

I believe the dies that the Mint now sells have been totally efaced, which would make them rather wrothless to me. However, in the past the Mint would sell dies that were either cancelled with a large X or were partially melted. Those dies are interesting since there is a design that remains.

I think the only reason people buy these are to just say it was used for making such and such. They are defaced as Chad and Tom mentioned. Chad, don't they come with some type of COA that show what it was used for tho"?

I think the only reason people buy these are to just say it was used for making such and such. They are defaced as Chad and Tom mentioned. Chad, don't they come with some type of COA that show what it was used for tho"?

Yes they do. The COA shows how many coins were produced by the particular die, when it was in service, when it was decomissioned, etc.

Coin dies are an overlooked area of American numismatics. Many collectors don’t care about them, but the collectors who do support a fairly decent market for dies that have some detail showing. Unfortunately I don't see much of a future for this state quarter dies that have been totally scraped clean.

Here are a couple of recent U.S. coin does that still show some detail.

FlagBearerDieRev.jpgFlagBearerO.jpg

1996 Atlanta Olympics flagbearer Proof $5 gold obverse die and coin.

1968SNickelDieO.jpg

1968-S obverse Proof nickel die with the date and mintmark area showing.

The $5 gold Olympic die, which is cross canceled is worth over $1,000. The Nickel with the date and mintmark detail might be worth $75 to $100.

I have seen the X'd ones before like you're showing Bill. I think those would be neat with some details left. Don't care for the smoothed off ones tho'.

That's strange. Why are the dies defaced? I'm assuming so people don't make coins with them?

Yep.

Yeah that would be bad if people started using mint dies to make coins..

893naughty-thumb.gif

Too bad they are defaced though. I still want one. Does the mint still sell them?

That's strange. Why are the dies defaced? I'm assuming so people don't make coins with them?

Yep.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Too bad they are defaced though. I still want one. Does the mint still sell them?

Yep. They sell them for State quarters, I don't know about other coins though.

Yep.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Yep. They sell them for State quarters, I don't know about other coins though.

Yea Chad, all I've seen are the State Qtr dies for sale also!

With the design totally removed, they are nothing more than scrap metal as far as I'm concerned. I have several of the 1996 Olympic dies that were X cancelled. Virtually all of the design is still intact and they are really neat. The mint got a lot of criticism from the error collectors since enough of the design is available to strike off center double strikes on a real coin to create fake errors. I doubt the mint will ever sell dies again without totally removing the design.

With the design totally removed, they are nothing more than scrap metal as far as I'm concerned. I have several of the 1996 Olympic dies that were X cancelled. Virtually all of the design is still intact and they are really neat. The mint got a lot of criticism from the error collectors since enough of the design is available to strike off center double strikes on a real coin to create fake errors. I doubt the mint will ever sell dies again without totally removing the design.

The mint faced the same criticism when they sold the 1868-S Proof coin dies. Some dies had nothing left on them, but others, like the one I pictured here did. Crooks used those dies to strike coin fragments that supposedly one can rarely find in bags of coins.

That ended the practice of selling U.S. dies until a very limited number of cross canceled Atlanta Olympic dies were sold. The dies were sold very quickly, and those who were fortunate enough (or had connections? devil.gif) bought them cheap and sold them for large profits. Since then only these State Quarter dies, which are totally blank, have been offered.