• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are pennies going to be discontinued??

7 posts in this topic

I remember hearing it on the news.

and my wife reminded me last night.

How there is speculation of the penny being removed

from the US currency, because it cost more than the face value

to produce.

Any truth to this?? any info??

Imagine how much the wheaties will be worth then..

Hell even regular lincolns for that matter..

headbang.gif

wasnt there talk of nickels going also? i know there r melt laws on nickels and cents but will they go that far?

Cents are secure at least through 2009. If and when they go, I highly doubt that any of the common pocket change is ever going to increase in value. Common circulated wheaties only sell for a couple cents each, and they haven't been made since 1959.

I'll be surprised if cents go before the next decade. I'll be flat on my back having a heart attack if they get rid of the nickel denomination in the next ten years (though they may well change the composition).

They're not going away, as a matter of fact in 2009 were getting a new one, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the penny.

There has always been way to much conflict from the State of Ill. whenever this is mentioned. I doubt the cent will ever go away unless they find another coin to commemorate Lincoln with!

According to Public Law 109-145, under TITLE III—ABRAHAM LINCOLN BICENTENNIAL 1-CENT COIN REDESIGN, SEC. 303. (REDESIGN OF REVERSE OF 1-CENT COINS AFTER 2009), adds the following to 31 U.S.C. § 5112:*

"The design on the reverse of the 1-cent coins issued after December 31, 2009, shall bear an image emblematic of President Lincoln’s preservation of the United States of America as a single and united country."

Unless congress votes otherwise, the Lincoln cent will return in 2010 with a new reverse.

* United States Code (U.S.C.) Title 31, Section 5112 is the law that describes the legal tender coinage of the US. If you want to read it, you can find a copy of it here. It really is very readable and will give you an understanding the restrictions the Mint works under.

Remember, the Mint does not "decide" to do anything. Everything they do is prescribed within the laws passed by congress and signed by the president. Every coin, medal, and commemorative has an associated law. The Mint does decide how to implement the policy (e.g., selling individual First Spouse commemorative gold coins versus selling them as a set), but the Mint cannot set the policy.

Scott hi.gif

debit cards the coin or money of the future like the pre paid phone card or phones start collecting them now .Heck half of the people around here don't speak english let alone know how to make change