• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do with newly purchased coins from the USMINT?

14 posts in this topic

I just subscribed to the Silver proof sets and Silver American eagles proofs from

the US mint. Starting in 2008.

I also bought 2006 silver proof set, two 2007 American eagles proofs

and a 2007 Buffalo $50 gold coin (available 6/26).

This is my question.

I heard alot about the US mints capsules and how they are not

air tight and etc. When you purchase new coins from the mint

like I have. What do you do with them??

Keep them in its original capsules and velve case??

Take them out, and have them graded by 3rd PCGS(sp) and the like???

and have them encapsulated??

thanks any advice would be appreciated.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

if its something u want early releise on or something u send unopen box into grading company of choice in usmint box(do not open)

if these r just for your collection i would swap out hard cases. or something like it of your choice!

lots of the round hard"airtites" that come from mint dont fit together very well and come apart.leaving your coin to move around frown.gif

The Mint capsules are not air tight, the grading service slabs are not air tight and even the coin holders sold from the company AirTite are not air tight. As long as you don't keep the pieces in a relatively humid and warm area, or one that is exposed to high levels of sulfur, you should be fine.

The Mint capsules are not air tight, the grading service slabs are not air tight and even the coin holders sold from the company AirTite are not air tight. As long as you don't keep the pieces in a relatively humid and warm area, or one that is exposed to high levels of sulfur, you should be fine.

very well said! also my reasoning for quotes around "airtite" :P

I keep all my mint products in a nightstand and a metal cabinet with silica packets. I haven't had any problems with them left in the mint packaging!

Hoard (aka TurboCollector),

Before you go order the 4 piece platinum eagles....In a few weeks they come out with first lady coins, 1/2 oz gold coins with all the first ladies. 4 a year to match their hubby's

If your looking for stuff to put your coins in, maybe buy a presidential album, some kointains and Saf-T flips, intercept shield 2x2s, airtites. Whatever:

I like this supplier...

http://www.brent-krueger.com/

Have you looked on eBay to see the prices of certified and uncertified versions of the coins you bought. It's a costly proposition paying $15/20 per coin to have it certified. Especially when the coin is worth $10-20.

I keep all my mint products in a nightstand and a metal cabinet with silica packets. I haven't had any problems with them left in the mint packaging!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Note to self: check the nightstand!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Note to self: check the nightstand!

Make another note: Watch for "MEAN" Boxer 27_laughing.gif