• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the mail

9 posts in this topic

hi all, gotta a question. if someone sent a coin to someone and it was never received and was insured registerd mail, what kind of hoops does one have to jump thru? when you confront the post office what do they say or do? would they ask for proof of worth or what? please enlighten me all who have had this experience. thanks in advance for any advice.

steve

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If it was registered, that is a HUGE deal at the PO, and someone would likely be disciplined or even fired for losing it. Insured (not registered) packages get lost occasionally, but with all the procedured for registered mail it would be taken very seriously by the PO, since it must be signed for everytime it moves, so they would know the last person to touch it, and unless that person was the addressee, it's a big problem.

As for getting your insured value, the easiest proof of value you could offer would be a bill of sale, or copy of the eBay auction, etc. Barring that, you would need to provide some independent source of value, such as a catalog price or recent auction record. Generally when I have lost an insured package, I just provide them with a copy of the eBay auction record and there have been no problems getting reimbursement for the auction price. I have never lost a registered item.

If you are asking this because you have sent something and it hasn't arrived, be advised that Registered mail can be VERY slow. I wouldn't even begin to start worrying about it until it has been over 30 days. Also a frequent problem is that it arrives at the post office and for some reason the notice slip either doesn't get left, gets lost, or for some reason the receiver just doesn't get it. There have been MANY times when a registered package that is "missing" turns out to have just been sitting at the persons post office for three weeks waiting for the guy to come in and ask for it. So the first step is t have the recipient go to his PO and just ASK if there is anything there waiting for him.

thanks for the responses.

now i have another question similar to the first one. if you send magazines and a book etc. to someone how would you send it? i sent some quite a while back, to my sister, and she never received them. i didn't insure them or anything else. i didn't think i would need to so i sent the package as inexpensive as possible. my concern is i want to mail her more mags in the future so how the heck do i send it with confidence that it will arrive? i spent 10.50 the first time and want to guard against this happening again. any advice? i didn't call the post office and complain because i figured i had no proof (didn't think this would happen). gee wizz do i have to take piuctures of all my material that i send? and would that make any difference?

sign-rantpost.gif

rule of thumb! use delivery confirm,signiture confirm,insurance! pick 1 that fits the best and spend the very lil money to get it! it is a very small price to pay to know where the package is(not tracking but scanned)

anytime i send something(could be salt or gold) i use delivery confirmation.unless it is a new customer then i use signiture confirmation. either way u can see what the status is of said shipment smile.gif

rule of thumb! use delivery confirm,signiture confirm,insurance! pick 1 that fits the best and spend the very lil money to get it! it is a very small price to pay to know where the package is(not tracking but scanned)

anytime i send something(could be salt or gold) i use delivery confirmation.unless it is a new customer then i use signiture confirmation. either way u can see what the status is of said shipment smile.gif

thanks ant. but if i do all that and the mags still don't show up then what? do i tell the p.o. i think the mags are worth maybe 12 bucks (or whatever) are they going to ask for proof of this? follow me?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just get your sister to write up a bill of sale for the mags, if they go missing.

Odds of losing a properly packaged media mail shipment are fairly low, I imagine.

Although this doesn't really mean anything, I have used media mail for as long as it has been around and have never lost anything-sometimes it has taken 3 weeks or so, but not lost. I have shipped all over the U.S. Please note that with insured packages you must wait 30 business days before filing a claim and your ebay sale sheet copy will suffice for value. Less shipping, of course. Good luck.