• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a common Morgan...

6 posts in this topic

Well, this is just a common Morgan, an 1887, doesn't get more common than this. But this coin is special to me. I just got it when I was home visiting my family. I went through a big can of silver coins that my grandfather and uncle put away when they took the silver out of circulation in the 1960s. Well, there were a dozen or so silver dollars, and this coin in a 2x2 plastic flip that my grandfather bought. Well, since he passed away before I could even remember him, I look at this coin as my only real personal connection to him, that he put it away nearly 40 years ago, and I would eventually find it. So it's a common Morgan, but a unique coin.

244012-Mvc-917s.jpg.8300a69454e7068f7ab7a60f0a8ce793.jpg

Here is the reverse. And please, share some of the coins that have special value to you, after all, not all of the value of our coins are derived from the numbers on the slab...

244013-Mvc-918s.jpg.5e5b729431e066c048288700d5c1b5c6.jpg

That's a neat coin and a good way to remember your grandfather. My Dad has given me many coins since I was a kid and he is the one that got me intersted in coins. It's hard to pick out a specific coin but I remember one time he said If I read the book the three Muskateers in it's original format he would buy me a 1908-S indian cent. I read the book and I still got the coin in the blue whitman folder. I don't know how much of the book I understood the way it was written in old english but I will never forget it. mike smile.gif

When I was 14 I traveled with my folks to Montana and visited the Charlie Russel Museum in Great Falls. At the time they had a box of common date uncirculated Morgans for sale at the museum shop. I looked through it and found the prettiest example I could find, then purchasing it for $5. I sent the coin to PCGS a couple of years ago. It's the only unc. Morgan I own. I'll keep it until I give it to one of my kids. (obverse attached)

Hoot

589a8b25e15d7_244379-1886Morgan1MS65PCGSobv.jpg.e5105b92f09235d1ec35d20696a5b50a.jpg