• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well I want to purchase this coin...but...

26 posts in this topic

Several months ago I purchased a $10 liberty for around $300 + dollars from a person in new jersey. I sent him the money through paypal, he never sent me the coin. I ended up getting my money back, but it was a huge hassel.

So, I've vowed not to send out money orders and only do COD's. I recently found a seller on the PCGS forum who has a double eagle for sale for $710. He said if I sent him $710 money order he'd send it out immediately. He's probably legit, but he lives in new jersey and he will NOT accept COD. He found a thread about it and he thinks its too risky. My parents say COD is the safest way to buy coins. I just don't want to get ripped off again.

Here's what he said:

"You are the first buyer to request shipping by COD for one of my coins. Since I have no experience with this shipping method, I did a little research and learned that this shipping method is not preferred among sellers because of additional risks. I found an article on the PCGS forum that might interest you.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview...mp;keyword1=cod

If you change your mind, I will pay for Registered shipping, however, I will not ship by COD.

No hard feelings…I understand your reluctance to purchase coins over the Internet.

I hope you find a nice Double Eagle.

"

So I guess I won't be getting a double eagle from him.

What's your opinion about COD?

Just use a Postal money order. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that if they don't follow through with the sale, you can sue them for postal fraud or something.

I don't see what would be wrong with registered mail. I think I can understand the COD issue. A person would have to mail the coin, wait for it to arrive, then have the money collected and then wait for that source to send him his money. This sounds like a hassle to me also. I've never used COD so I'm just presuming this is the way it would work. confused-smiley-013.gif

Are you just using a blanket generalization that all people in New Jersey are scammers? It does smell bad here, but we are honerable. wink.gif

I think that if you pay through paypal, you should be fine.

Are you just using a blanket generalization that all people in New Jersey are scammers? It does smell bad here, but we are honerable. wink.gif

Remember, the first one was in Joisey and so is the second one. While everyone in Joisey is not Tony Soprano, not everyone is a crook either. Even if they can't spell "honorable!" 27_laughing.gif

On a serious note, there are problems with COD including stolen items and the seller not getting his money even when you do pay. I would have less of a problem with sending a money order versus using COD. If that fails, I would rather use PayPal or a credit card. In either case, it is a hastle to get a credit with PayPal or a credit card, but you do have a way to get your money back if you are scammed. The hastles are the nature of the beast. You'll either have to deal with it or not make the purchase. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the way it is!

Scott hi.gif

The last time I got scammed it was through paypal. It was a huge pain and paypal wouldn't give me the money back. If I sent him a money order, what proof would it be that he would sent the coin?

The last time I got scammed it was through paypal. It was a huge pain and paypal wouldn't give me the money back. If I sent him a money order, what proof would it be that he would sent the coin?

"Several months ago I purchased a $10 liberty for around $300 + dollars from a person in new jersey. I sent him the money through paypal, he never sent me the coin. I ended up getting my money back, but it was a huge hassel."

Can you elaborate on the scammed Part? I don't understand. Other than it being a huge hassel. I thought there was a buyer protection process. confused-smiley-013.gif

I would tell you to pound sand if you attempted to purchase a coin from me via COD.

makepoint.gif

You are going to have a really hard time buying coins if you are only willing to pay COD.

I truly do not understand the issue that Stinkycheese is facing. How else does anyone buy coins(or anything else for that matter) via ebay, but to pay for it and hope you get it. That's the system. Their are safety measures, such as, paypal and postal money orders, insured shipping, etc. But the main thing is to 'PAY TO PLAY'!!!!!!!! I know no one selling on Ebay that would ship COD. Good luck Stinkycheese, I feel you will need it.

then what you need to do is only buy your gold coins in hand sight seen at local area coin shops or wait and go to a larger show in other words you see the coin you pay the monry you walk away with the coin make sure it is holdered pcgs/ngc only

i understand your reluctance

I echo Michael's comment's above. Why are you even trying to buy such a common coin this way? You should either buy it in person or through a known source.

And on the selling side, as TomB said, no seller is ever going to do business with someone they do not know under the terms you are asking.

codfish.gif

EDIT: I already had this written but did not post for public consumption, but OldTrader is in my line of thinking about this whole situation, here goes.

Are you sure you have selected the right hobby to peruse? I mean, every transaction you speak of, some kind of problem has occurred in which you complain or were overly concerned about. Its been with the coins themselves, the shipping method, the payment method, you thought you paid to much once you got the coin home, suspicious of every coin being counterfeit, you don't trust most of the grading services, you don't trust other sellers, you don't trust investment firms...it just goes on and on and on.

We all have concerns, we all have problem transactions, we all get burnt at one time or another, but we move on and learn from those experiences and we get over those hurdles by learning before taking the next step.

You need to find a hobby were there is little or no risk involved, but I’m sure you’d find something wrong with that one also.

PS: the Joisey COD was posted in a jockular manner, now I'm not so sure.

Seller agrees to sell and buyer agrees to buy a cow. Seller refuses to produce the cow until buyer produces the money. Buyer refuses to produce the money until seller produces the cow. How can the sales contract be enforced?

These days the money is generally produced first. Find a method of payment that provides you a level of security that you're comfortable with, and go with that. Paypal provides considerable protections, and so do credit cards.

By and large, I wouldn't worry about scams too much on PCGS's BST forum if the poster has much of a history. Forum members can be pretty merciless when deals go south over there.

I would be more concerned about the seller than the method of payment. If the seller on the PCGS forum has good references I would not be worried about sending a Postal Money Order as payment.

There is sometimes a thin line between healthy scepticism and paranoia. If you are going to collect coins, you are going to have to decide whom to trust. Either buy sight-seen, certified coins (as Michael suggested) or learn which dealers you can trust and stick with them. Most large respected dealers who sponsor national auctions (i.e. Legend, Bowers and Merena, ANR, David Lawrence, Pinnacle, et al) sell nice merchandise and have a return policy, no questions asked. Heritage does not allow returns for certified coins bought in auctions.

Stay away from too-good-to-be-true bargains (they aren't!). Ebay can be a slippery slope if you do not know the person that you are dealing with. Buy NGC/PCGS/ANACS coins with some confidence from dealers with good reputations and good pictures.

I would not sell you a coin COD either. Postal money orders are fine as are certified checks or bank money orders. They give you proof of payment as does PayPal and credit card. Send payment via Certified Mail if you want receipt and signature.

Maybe you should not be collecting coins. You seem to obsess about counterfeit gold to the point of cracking out legitimate TPG graded coins and damaging them, plus having too much payment methodology wariness. Worry a little less or find a less stressful hobby. Some scepticism is healthy. Obsession is not

OT3 has a point.

If you want buyer protection, buy via paypal with a credit card that offers you full online protection. Be sure to read and understand PayPal's terms for buyer protection.

Almost nobody's going to take COD.

Under no circumstances would I ever ship something COD. Ever. And no one else is going to either. I hate to discourage anyone, but I am going to agree with WoodenJefferson and Oldtrader. Perhaps this is not the right hobby for you.

Dude, QUIT BEING SO PARANOID! You're never going to get ahead in life if you can't trust somebody. So you were scammed in the past. At least you got your money back! Many of us have been scammed, and never saw a nickel of that money. Most people on these forums are trustworthy. Same goes for forums Across the Street. COD is insane, I don't know anybody who uses it, or has ever used it. I don't know, maybe you should go back to collecting from pocket change if you're this paranoid about someone ripping you off. You can't get ripped off at face value. Something needs to change. Almost all of your posts on this forum have been about something related to your paranoia. "Is this coin counterfeit?" "Will this person scam me?" "Can these guys be trusted?"

Give it up sign-rantpost.gif

Dude, QUIT BEING SO PARANOID! You're never going to get ahead in life if you can't trust somebody. So you were scammed in the past. At least you got your money back! Many of us have been scammed, and never saw a nickel of that money. Most people on these forums are trustworthy. Same goes for forums Across the Street. COD is insane, I don't know anybody who uses it, or has ever used it. I don't know, maybe you should go back to collecting from pocket change if you're this paranoid about someone ripping you off. You can't get ripped off at face value. Something needs to change. Almost all of your posts on this forum have been about something related to your paranoia. "Is this coin counterfeit?" "Will this person scam me?" "Can these guys be trusted?"

893naughty-thumb.gif

I buy off of ebay...but I'm down to just a handful of sellers...most of whom are board members either here or ATS. I have purchased one coin "on approval"... one better than than COD IMHO. This was my 1914-D Lincoln that a board member ATS sent to me to purchase on approval...I liked it so I bought it.

I do agree with some of the other posts though... alot of ebay is finding sellers you're comfortable with that consistently have material in which you're interested. To do this, you're just going to have to take a leap of faith.

Bon chance!!!

Leo

::sighh::: My parents told me to do COD only. Can I post a fricking thread without getting bashed and flamed?

Good lord

::sighh::: My parents told me to do COD only. Can I post a fricking thread without getting bashed and flamed?

Good lord

Cant we all just be friends? and Stinky Munkey wasnt trying to be mean he got a little frustrated? he was pointing out that if you dont take the chance you wont ever get anywhere sometimes you have to have a little bit of blind faith or check the guy out more before you commit to making a purchase smile.gif

Good lord

Cant we all just be friends? and Stinky Munkey wasnt trying to be mean he got a little frustrated? he was pointing out that if you dont take the chance you wont ever get anywhere sometimes you have to have a little bit of blind faith or check the guy out more before you commit to making a purchase smile.gif

Hey, thanks RUSS. I made a thread just now about the new coin I got. It'll be my last post for awhile..I really don't want to bother people anymore.

we have all been bitten at 1 time or another frown.gif and imo thats what helps us! keeps us talking! after some bad can only come good. look at the bad so u know where not to go!

if i didnt buy from new ppl i wouldnt be able to find my needs! some experiences are bad and some r good! i myself have lost 2500+$s to cleaned,item not sent,item lost....................the only thing i kan do is take the steps to right the situation and mark it down.we also leave our bad situations here on boards so others can b aware smile.gif

collecting is just like anything else" a risk" and imo it makes it more fun!