• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington $1 Error or Faked

4 posts in this topic

I had got a coin about a month ago on email thinking it was an error, but got contacted not long ago by another user who bought one from the same seller & said a local dealer said it was faked/altered using chemicals to get it to appear copper colored on both sides (like a missing clad error).

I'm still learning about coin collecting so need some advise on this. I took mine today to the only nearby coin dealer we got around here (authorized PCGS Dealer) & he said it appears to be altered by a chemical to the the appearance to look copper. Just note that the rim is still that golden/brass color.

Below is a link of the coin & note the seller has yet another "copper" colored one listed on ebay & appears to be certified NGC too but the pictures are not close or clear to read the labels, but I don't see anything on the label saying error.

I think this guy sold about a dozen so far & that just seems to be a too high of a number for this type of "error".

Current listing of Coin (certified)

Here's the link of the coin I had got

Yep, not genuine. The coin is in a NCS slab which is a holder for a problem coin. Theyh are under the same parent company as NGC, but they are not NGC. It was probably treated with chemicals to get the copper color.

Welcome jay. Chad is right. The coin is only showing that it was a geniune dollar by NCS. If it had been a geniune copper colored error, it would have been in a NGC slab with the error designation. The only reason people send coins to NCS is to try to have them restored from environmental, spotting, etc.. issues. I think I would steer clear of these!