• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To all former or current service graders..............

6 posts in this topic

Have you ever sneezed, coughed or vomitted on a very expensive coin when grading? If so, what did you do? Did you tell someone, try to rub it off, try to hide it, or maybe blamed it on a fellow grade? Would appreciate an inside scoop.

TRUTH

Good question! Heck, I'd take an answer from an "anonymous" poster on this one!

My gut tells me it has had to have happened before, the sneezing or coughing part anyway.

I had a gorgeously toned MS68FB Mercury dime returned to me with a decent sized piece of bread stuck against the coin. frown.gif

I got in touch with PCGS and complained that it might be bread and they stated that the graders could not eat in the grading room. Of course, that would not preclude the possibility of the bread having been brought in from the outside or that the bread got onto the coin from someone other than a grader. PCGS suggested it was dandruf. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That would have been some large dandruf! 893whatthe.gif

They reholdered the coin but the organic material had left a slight spot on the coin from where it laid.

I had a proof Washington quarter that I called the snot coin since it had sneeze/snot/water on it after it was slabbed.

My favorite explanation (of many by PCGS) was that the "water" could have been on the coin when I sent it in. 27_laughing.gif

Have you ever sneezed, coughed or vomitted on a very expensive coin when grading?

I often vomit after looking at some coins in holders...is that what you mean? laugh.gif

jom