• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Critique this 1858 O Please

27 posts in this topic

There are some very faint hairlines under magnification. There are a few raised lines in it as well. Luster only around the devices. Not as white in hand , more of a pewter silver.

Would it holder?

1858o001obv600x600x300pd0.jpg

1858o002rev600x600x300ex5.jpg

Thank you James.

Would it be safe to say that light circulation can often cause a few hairlines especially on certain series of coinage.

I don't really see much for cleaning hairlines myself. The scratches I do see seem to be circulation. I would venture to say AU also. I'm not familiar with these enough to know about the pewter coloring tho'.

The basic grade is AU-50 for sharpness, but I think there is a good chance that it won't grade. The pewter silver look is one of the stages silver takes when it is coming down from a cleaning. This would appear to had more done to it that just a quick dip.

Although dipping can improve coins, I'm not really a big fan of dipping circulated coins. Do to the lack of luster a ciculated coin already has, the dipping tends to leave a washed out look. I think this coin could be improved by letting it hang it in an album for a few years to aquire some secondary toning.

JJ

Although dipping can improve coins, I'm not really a big fan of dipping circulated coins. Do to the lack of luster a ciculated coin already has, the dipping tends to leave a washed out look. I think this coin could be improved by letting it hang it in an album for a few years to aquire some secondary toning.

JJ

My thoughts exactly. In hand it doesn’t look as bad as the image depicts however I did want honest opinions.

Thanks every one for there help. thumbsup2.gif

In addition, I get the idea someone may have used maybe a tooth pick in conjunction with a dip solution.

In addition, I get the idea someone may have used maybe a tooth pick in conjunction with a dip solution.

There is nothing wrong with using a wooden toothpick to scape out some grime. Old time collectors were known to use throrns.

Of course most grimey coins are circulated pieces which would not benefit from dipping.

it looks like it might have some "cabnet friction" but it is a fairly attractive coin. if luster is present i woulkd say in the 1u53 range if nor xf. seateds are hard to grade but this semms to be a nice one smile.gif

There is nothing wrong with using a wooden toothpick to scape out some grime. Old time collectors were known to use throrns.

Me thinketh that Tom and HOOT still use thorns... poke2.gif

I bought that coin by mistake. I had a watch list and went to purchase an 1853 and purchased the 58 instead. foreheadslap.gif

I already had this one.

1858007obv600x600x300sn6.jpg

1858006rev600x600x300wj9.jpg

I bought that coin by mistake. I had a watch list and went to purchase an 1853 and purchased the 58 instead. foreheadslap.gif

Dont beat yourself up. Just because the coin may have been cleaned does not make it a bad coin. It is a great example of type. The only thing you need to be concerned with is paying too much for such examples.

Dont beat yourself up. Just because the coin may have been cleaned does not make it a bad coin. It is a great example of type. The only thing you need to be concerned with is paying too much for such examples.

Like I said the 58 wasn’t supposed to be on my watch list. Buy the time I pulled the trigger it was too late. I think I can recover less than $200.00 I paid for it.

Stan,

Do you tend to believe that it has been cleaned in the past?

Rey

Yes I was suspicious of the surfaces but not the one posted on this page the 1858 posted earlier in the post.

I already had this one.

1858007obv600x600x300sn6.jpg

1858006rev600x600x300wj9.jpg

Now THAT is a lovely coin!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

See if you can return the first coin...its really nowhere near as nice as you

originially thought it would be. I would grade it AU 53 details - net grade XF 45

for overdipping [ all the life's been stripped off that coin ].

Can't see that many cleaning lines - just circulation marks...IMHO.

I love the second coin...but would grade it AU 58 - and a choice one at that -

I just don't think its a MS 61. Regardless, nice taste in Seated Halves.

893applaud-thumb.gif