• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps my alltime favorite pattern design.......

28 posts in this topic

This recent addition to the pattern collection is one of my alltime favorite coin designs. The design is attributed to William Barber and while I am not too crazy about the reverse, I find the obverse striking. I especially like the defiant eagle on the helmet.

This design is very interesting with eagles depicted on both the obverse and reverse as well as the motto "In God We Trust".

This particular example (one of 4 known) traces it's pedigree to the Major Lenox Lohr collection.

J 1526

J1526mg_small.jpg

That is an awesome design. Was this a proposed design? Any reason why it wasn't accepted? I suppose this would've taken the seated half out if so. confused-smiley-013.gif

Amazing Pattern Mark love the obverse. Interesting how it looks like LIBERTY was an after thought ingraved with a stylist . Absolutely beautiful coin. cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

Pattern coins are my absolute favorite area )not that i can affors them) in fact when i applied for the Bass internship i proposed working with the pattern coins guess the ANA didnt fancy it such a good idea i got turned down

I see some Greco-Roman influence with Germanic overtones in the design. Or something like that. Boiler, I don't want to worry you, but I just learned that it's about to become illegal to own patterns. 893whatthe.gif

Lou,

Please spread the word. I am hoping to buy into all the panic selling! 27_laughing.gif If your getting nervous I also collect pattern nickels. wink.gif

Mark

Almost as artistic as the California state quarter (can you feel my sarcasm?)

The mint infusion program should show this coin to is new artists!

I actually love BOTH sides; the reverse has the same kind of symmetry as Kennedy half dollars. Stunning pattern, thanks for sharing!

Doug

The entire design has the appearance, well to me anyway, that it was hand engraved directly onto the planchet rather than being struck on!

Would it not be wonderful to have in your possesion the very set of dies that struck this beautiful pattern coin?

(probably 1 obv. die known, 1 rev. die known, I can picture William Barber going to the press room with these dies, watching the set up and then the pressing, examining the end result..."OK, take the dies out and give them back to me.")

Humina humina...nice BOILER

Unfortunately the dies for this pattern were destroyed nearly 100 years ago. frown.gif

The pattern half dollars of 1877 are a fascinating study. With 44 different designs credited to 3 different engravers the series served as a de facto design competition for what eventually became the Morgan dollar.

Mint director Henry Linderman (not a big fan of chief engraver William Barber) imported George Morgan from Londons Royal mint in 1876 so Morgan had the edge from the get go.

If Linderman hadn't had a bias against Barber this helmet head design might have been used in lieu of Morgans rendition of lady Liberty.

In the interest of full disclosure Barber apparently "borrowed" the design from an earlier sketch by Christian Gobrecht. Regardless of who came up with the design, I think it would be stunning on a dollar sized planchet!

As a side note I find it interesting that what is arguably our most popular collector coin traces its roots to a pattern half dollar struck in copper J1509 shown here smile.gif

J1509.jpg

The J1509 evolved into the J1550 and was eventually "tweaked" into the beloved Morgan silver dollar.

tv1550a.jpg

What a special coin. smile.gif What's remarkable to me is the condition after all these years. How in the world did folks store items such as this? I love the eagle on the helmet as well. That's a tough looking bird. smile.gif

I'm getting dizzy! I want both of those patterns the 1877 Half Dollar would be pretty cool to show Off. I just need to find the funds, anybody out there want to help out a fellow collector? with a loan of lets say $1,000,000 Hmmm! confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi, BOILER78 hi.gif

I can see why this pattern is your favorite! thumbsup2.gif

The Eagle helmet that Liberty is wearing is just such a strong image, I love it!

The reverse image is also one of strength, this pattern half dollar really trusted God! cool.gif

AAJ

Linderman's primary reason for selecting Morgan's chubby Liberty (apparently based on his wife, Alice) and W. Barber's chunky Liberty, was that Morgan's was in lower relief and would produce more coins per die.

Of course, Morgan worked directly for Linderman at the time, and the director had invested a lot of time and money in securing his services and having A. L Snowden and others review his designs.

After Linderman left the directorship (Dec 1978) Morgan was left "out in the cold" and this eventually led to Charles Barber getting the engraver's appointment in January 1880.