• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

24 posts in this topic

I have recently acquired the coin below from the year 1800, a somewhat magical year for numismatics. It occurred to me that I have never owned a coin from 1800 and set me on a search for what other coins could be obtained, if one were to pursue an 1800 year set (it won't be me!).

As it turns out, an 1800 year set (by denomination) would contain but seven coins (half cent, large cent, half dime, dime, dollar, half eagle, and eagle), and the most expensive would be the eagle. None of the coins, however, especially in better circulated grades or higher is cheap.

Post an 1800 coin, if you have one.

1832687-1800%245smo.jpg

1832689-1800%245smr.jpg

589a92b92b84e_1832687-18005smo.jpg.df6e10608dc0cf41b43980d40ca45625.jpg

"Very Nice" example!!!!!!!!!!! I don't own an 1800 coin as of yet. I agree with you on the toughness of completing this set. That's what makes it a cool set to work on. There's no rush to complete it and time to wait for the right coins to surface. I'm working on an 1818 year set which is only four coins: Large Cent, Qtr, Half, and $5 Half Eagle. I'm half way home on the set and believe the $5 may be a tough coin to find.

DSCN3013B.jpg

DSCN3365A.jpg

Robert, nice coin and everything, yeah, great, cool.

But, here's the important question!

Is 1800 the first year of the 19th century, or the last year of the 18th century?

tongue.gif

Very nice looking 1800, really nice, it should be fun and interesting building that set, good luck.

Lee, I really like that 1818 Cent, a fine looking coin.

Rey

1800HalfCentO-1.jpg1800HalfCentR-1.jpg

Here's one of my favorite 1800 coins, the half cent. The interesting thing about this coin is that the obverese had the new Draped Bust design, which was introduced to the half cent that year. The reverese was from the old style of the 1790s.

There is only one die variety for the 1800 half cent, and it is fairly common. This same reverse was used to strike a small number of 1802 half cents. This is the famous "old reverse" variety. There are less than 20 of those coins known, and the best ones can be VF, but with some qualifiers.

I have recently acquired the coin below from the year 1800, a somewhat magical year for numismatics. It occurred to me that I have never owned a coin from 1800 and set me on a search for what other coins could be obtained, if one were to pursue an 1800 year set (it won't be me!).

As it turns out, an 1800 year set (by denomination) would contain but seven coins (half cent, large cent, half dime, dime, dollar, half eagle, and eagle), and the most expensive would be the eagle. None of the coins, however, especially in better circulated grades or higher is cheap.

Post an 1800 coin, if you have one.

1832687-1800%245smo.jpg

1832689-1800%245smr.jpg

beautiful patination.

I love this coin.

Honestly...I could cry it's so beautiful. thanks for posting it.

I was thinking (believe it or not), is that a half eagle or an eagle?

I love those early big flat gold coins. Wish they didn't cost $20K + a pop. This is a really nice example!

I love those early big flat gold coins. Wish they didn't cost $20K + a pop. This is a really nice example!

They need not cost $20K+. The half eagle can be had for less than half that amount in AU and for less than a quarter that amount in lower grades. Even the tougher and pricier eagle can be obtained for well less than that amount in grades XF and lower.

They need not cost $20K+. The half eagle can be had for less than half that amount in AU and for less than a quarter that amount in lower grades. Even the tougher and pricier eagle can be obtained for well less than that amount in grades XF and lower.

The coin in the OP is a half eagle in an NGC XF-45 holder.

I do not intend to do an 1800 year set, but it would be an interesting challenge for a long-term collector and probably deceptively difficult to complete (how hard could seven coins be, right? wink.gif ).

Considering that the only XF early eagles I have seen in the last year or two, including one on Mr Feld's website, have been offered in the mid-teens, I think that this challenge is prohibitive for most collectors, unless they are okay settling for a low-grade and/or problem eagle. Even then, who would want to spend $7500 for a cleaned coin (like this one from a recent Heritage auction, below)?

422306042a.jpg

You might find the results of the 1800 presidential election interesting. Here's hint. Things were perhaps even worse than they were in 2000. The republic was young, and the crisis threatened to bring down the government.

1801 starts the 19th century, although I don't think that convention(?) was decided/discovered until well into the 19th century. So the 1800 rockin' new years eve party was probably pretty kickin'

What about the history of an 1800 eagle? Who would have actually carried around that much money, what would have likely been purchased with the above mentioned coin.

High denomination coins like that 1800 eagle were not the type coins that people carried around. They were for large transactions the nature of which might be the sort of thing that we do with credit cards or checks. Most of the time these coins sat in bank vaults as back-up for the bank's currency or assets.

As for what it would purchase, let's put it this way. For the average American $10 was more than two weeks wages for a male semi-skilled worker. It was just short of two weeks wages if you are a skill or a trade.

One I ....had....

The shiny spot on the forehead hair curl was an unstruck portion and that planchet was NICE!

I figured ..why not just get a nice circ and....etc etc etc

Much to my regret.

From what I have seen lately, that would have upped itself 2 or more grades on a resubmission.

oh well.

tongue.gif

1833145-1800hfeag.JPG.0dcfd5c7d3711d792433362b14668785.JPG

Nice 1800 gold there sagerad. Too bad it was cleaned, but still nice to have! thumbsup2.gif

You should read the poster's words too sometimes, Bobby. wink.gif

Nice 1800 gold there sagerad. Too bad it was cleaned, but still nice to have! thumbsup2.gif

And you guys think I'm slow... tonofbricks.gif

And you guys think I'm slow... tonofbricks.gif

I am not sure what that is all about, but I am unperturbed by the opinion of the owner of the 49th best Jefferson nickel short set. I will take my experience, contacts, and eye over Bobby's. wink.gif Now, if James, BillJones, or Mark Feld dissed the coin... 893whatthe.gif ...

I would still be okay with it. wink.gif

Here's another 1800 coin. It's the odd and courious 1800 "LIBEKTY" half dime. Unlike the 1796 "LIHERTY" half dime, this coin is true variety, not a die state. During the early days at the U.S. mint, the bust of Ms. Liberty and the eagle where hubbed. The date, letters, stars and other details were added to the dies after the bust and eagle had been sunk into the die. For this piece the top was broken out of the "R" punch which left it looking a little like a "K".

This variety is rated as an R-4 (76 to 200 known), but I've not seen it offered that often. The flat spot at the end of the eagle's beak on the reverse is due to a die injury, not damage to the coin. There is a very rare variety of the "LIBEKTY" that was an undamaged reverse.

1800LebektyCase.jpg1800LebektyR.jpg

I don't really know much about the price of gold as I'm not in this market category. The price didn't phase me any as to just seeing the slabbed coin. I thought it was one he bought from heritage. confused-smiley-013.gif