• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone want to play guess the grade with my new Ike? (GRADE REVEALED, 1st POST)

20 posts in this topic

I just got this silver 1976-S Ike today. I actually got a few coins, and surprisingly, this turned out to be my favorite, followed closely by my new britannia. Want to play guess the grade?

Grade is revealed - scroll down in this post.

1832353-ike.jpg

Grade revealed below...

This coin was graded PCGS MS65. I was surprised to see that nobody guessed correctly. The concensus appeared to be MS66, so I feel like I did pretty good for $14.12 shipped. I bought this fella sight-unseen ATS.

Someone asked about the luster...it's pretty nice, actually. There's only one area on the coin that I think took it from a 66 to a 65 (or maybe it shouldn't have); it's the reverse, under EPU and the bell. It looks like a little luster graze from another coin. Other than that, there were only a few small hits that others here noticed. It's a really pretty coin in-hand.

Glad to see everyone liked my Ike! Thanks for the feedback!

1832353-ike.jpg.5ea582d1d2459f40937e7bbbdf157009.jpg

I'm having a great deal of trouble judging the luster from the photos...

The coin looks clean enough to be a 67 or 68, but the apparent lack of luster makes me hedge my bet and say 66 or 67.

I'll guess 67.

Also, which TPG graded it could certainly change my guess, but the above is true for both NGC and PCGS (although PCGS is, oddly enough, tighter overall but less consistent).

All IMHO...Mike

Without looking at anyone else's grade, I would say MS66 and a very clean, contact free coin for the price. Excellent addition to your collection!

Hey Michael,

That s a nice Ike. I don't collect these so I never responded, but I see a nicer coin than a 65 here. As long as the luster isn't off this is a clean coin. These coins are dinner plate sized so they do not come this clean often. A few of these tossed around in mint containers cause a lot of marks quickly.

I like this coin as a 66 by my eye and these pics.

This coin was graded PCGS MS65. I was surprised to see that nobody guessed correctly. The concensus appeared to be MS66, so I feel like I did pretty good for $14.12 shipped. I bought this fella sight-unseen ATS.

It may be that the majority are actually correct, and PCGS is wrong 893whatthe.gif! I have no doubt that unless there's something hidden by the imaging process, this coin should be a 6.

It seems to me that there is a relatively strong jump between MS-65 and MS-66 for these coins, so maybe PCGS was too scared to put the right grade on the coin 27_laughing.gif. This is one of those few instances where the coin might be worth getting regraded.