• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you know an ancient coin price?

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm a week into this hobby and I'm addicted, but also a prime target for making rookie mistakes.

I am curious about this particular eBay listing ( Ancient Rome Gold Coin )

Could anyone tell me if it is worth 1500 bucks. I would think that a coin from that long ago looking that nice would be worth much more.

Thanks in advance for your insight,

Kent

I do not know about the value of these type coins but the one positive thing regarding the coin is that it has been graded and certified by NGC so at least you know that it is certified as genuine.

Not sure about the value.

Rey

The coin is certainly not common in that condition but the combination of high gade and age does not automatically mean it should be worth that price or more. A year or two back, there was a hoard of Roman gold staters graded by NGC as "Uncirculated" or "Mint State" that were selling for about $1000 to $1200. I believe they were from Thrace from about 50-60 BCE.

The Solidus is common as a type coin but there are so many of them I would have no idea about the availability of that particular one in that particular grade and how much it should sell for. You could try checking some European coin auction sites which would probably have the closest comparable data though I doubt you will find an exact match.

Go to Heritage Auction Galleries on the Web. It is free to register and join and is an excellent resource for finding historical and current information on coin auctions as well as pictures and pricing comparisons. If you search on the site under Ancient, Rome and type in Marcian it will take you to a page with some of these same coins there. You can also see different pricing history for different grades of the same coin.

The ones I saw on there were considerably less than this one.

Rey

Could anyone tell me if it is worth 1500 bucks. I would think that a coin from that long ago looking that nice would be worth much more.

Kent

The thing people don't understand is that just because it is old doesn't mean it is worth a whole lot. Supply and demand takes care of that. There is a whole lot of supply, and only a moderate amount of demand. You can buy nice ancients for $15. The reason that this one is being sold for $1500, and with my limited knowledge of ancient coins this seems reasonable, is that it is gold and uncirculated.

• Administrator

Might be premium for graded over raw, though. And conditions vary.

Price realized, $600, in mid 2005 in raw in EF. Now sure how choice uncirculated translates to a grade though...

Choice Unc usually equals MS63 in US grading terms. However, the coin you linked was an ancient coin and was sold by CNG who use much stricter grading standards. Their EF for this type of material will usually translate into AU55-MS63 in US grading. I've had a few CNG EF's go MS65 at NGC. I suspect that the EF linked is probably a low grade unc - very possible of making the Choice Unc grade at NGC.

There are seven to eight of these in the Heritage Archives, all were sold as "uncertified". Price ranged from $300.00 to $546.25 over the last 2 years. Latest one sold January 8th for $488.75.

Rey