• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

::ANSWER REVEALED : "guess the grade" of this NGC Morgan::

27 posts in this topic

I just picked this one up over the last weekend (it's not in hand yet...) but liked it for its thick skin.

The photos? Ok, not the best, but do your best to lock in a grade.

I'll post a third photo later showing the Morgan and the insert.

1883x.jpg1883xx.jpg

Please see my post below...

Pat, subject to the following sight-seen requirements, I'd guess MS66:

If the hit near the base of Liberty's neck is not too bad...

If the luster is sufficient...

If there are no particularly obvious flaws on her face (or elsewhere) which do not show in the images...

If the darker stained area on the left side of the reverse is not permanently etched into the coin's surface....

However, because I am not convinced that the above four conditions have been met, my guess is that the assigned grade is MS65 but you think it looks better than that. How did I do? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I like it as a 64 with a good shot at 65. The only things that might hold it back are the three marks on the obverse near the eye, chin, and neck.

Chris

Well, I like the strike and the overall appearance but...are those finger prints on the reverse around O in DOLLAR and then again around U in UNITED and also appearing on the obverse around star # 11?

If so...I personally can only go to MS-65

But that's my opinion and not the graders.

I guess it's obvious I do not care for a finger printed coins.

To each his own, still a very nice example of a Orleans Morgan.

1883xx.jpg
One of the better strikes I have seen for an O mint Morgan reverse..I can easily see MS65 and 66 on a better day...Very nice pick up Mr B.. Very nice thumbsup2.gif

Not ALL issues of New Orleans mint Morgan dollars come poorly struck. The 1883, '84 and many '86 "O mint" dollars are well struck. In fact the 1883-O and 1884-O dollars come just well struck as the Philadelphia mint coins, if not a little better.

This coin is well struck, but it's not that unusual. I would seriously doubt that this coin made it into an MS-66 with the tarnish and all. It does not have the "look" of a coin that makes into a holder like that.

63 probably a 64 though

Above mentioned scars but I think the dentacles are bit flat along with the hairline

My guess is MS-62. It almost looks PL, but it also almost looks like Liberty's portrait has been puttied. To be brief, the photo does make it near impossible to guess the grade.

You guys are all good! (Mark, I can see how and why you were a professional grader and are today a stellar Numismatist).

I would agree the photo makes this Morgan appear a bump or two down, but here's a better photo.

1883xxx.jpg

You guys are all good!

Some of the guys are, but apparently, I'm not - I guessed MS-62 893blahblah.gif

The second image does look much better. I just thought that the first image might be hiding something.

Very nice coin!

i agreed with mark on the 66..............honest! i just tuned in and made my decision BEFORE going to the post with the results. honest!

893applaud-thumb.gif