• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP Can anyone tell me if this is a error??

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, hi.gif

I just playing on ebay one morning when I couldn't sleep. I ran across this 1990-D Lincoln Penny. It looks like there is whole bunch of pimples. Well I put a bid in for $0.01 and I won it. Total cost $1.51! yay.gif I don't really know if is was worth that much but I think it was cool to look at!

This a error coin? Any information would be helpful!

1825807-1990-DPimpleFace.jpg.5a080cd413e638e38502ea8e51472be0.jpg

Hello everyone, hi.gif

I just playing on ebay one morning when I couldn't sleep. I ran across this 1990-D Lincoln Penny. It looks like there is whole bunch of pimples. Well I put a bid in for $0.01 and I won it. Total cost $1.51! yay.gif I don't really know if is was worth that much but I think it was cool to look at!

This a error coin? Any information would be helpful!

Hi and welcome to the forum hi.gif

Here is your coin and i agree it looks like corrosion. sorry.gif

1825807-1990-DPimpleFace.jpg

I don't know about that Russ. I was just looking at some uncirculated lincolns in my album last night. These are clean red and found some bumps like this on one of them also. I'd have to find which one it was, but these bumps look like it's under the copper.

the only reaso i said corrison is because i have an 1827 large cent in front of me as i type and it has those same "bumps" on it and i have always understood those to be corrision if i'm wrong please do tell! i always liek to learn something new smile.gif

It looks like environmental damage, the zinc core has had an opprotunity to swell under the micron thin outter jacket of pure copper. There is also the possibility that the raw zinc planchet was not cleaned properly prior to the copper plating...this will cause gas bubbles or adhesion problems during electrolysis.

Moisture is probably the culprit, could be in the form of high humidity, left out in the rain...sitting in the bottom of the laundry tub, wishing well (think about that one, proprietors cannot leave coins in the fountain like they used to, the newer cents, post 1982 were desolving in the chorinated waters) etc.

Good thing you did not pay more than .01 unless there is another reason for the bubbles, then you may have something.

Til then, carry on....have fun.

I found the one I have. It's a 1996. I took a couple quick pics, but this has the same type bumps. I don't think this is corrosion unless it was mint caused.

bumpylincoln008.jpg

bumpsclose.jpg

I thought I read somewhere, maybe in Coin World that this is a fairly common problem on zinc cents, the gas bubbles form under the copper layer and give this appearance. I do not believe this to be corrosion or environmental damage.

the only reaso i said corrison is because i have an 1827 large cent in front of me as i type and it has those same "bumps" on it and i have always understood those to be corrision if i'm wrong please do tell! i always liek to learn something new smile.gif

Yours could be something totally different than this Russ. Yours maybe corrosion for such EAC. If ya get the chance, post a pic of it. It can be told here.

The coin in the original post is not corrosion. The mint often has problems with the copper plating over the zinc core, and it causes bubbling like this. I don't think it affects the value much, but $1.50 is not bad for such a severely affected coin. Nice purchase!

I've seen these modern zinc cents with copper coating cents look like this. Most of the ones I have seen were from the early '80s when the process was new. I saw a couple of 1983 reverse doubled die pieces like this, but I would not touch them. I was afraid that air would get in and destroy the coin.

I don't think that a zinc cent would do this when it "goes bad." The whole thing would begin to disintegrate and turn to dust before any bubbles could form. The piece is unusual in that it has toned to a brown color, but the surface is a reflection of a minor mint error IMO. As such I think the coin has more curiosity value than numismatic value.

Nobody is going to get hurt at $1.51.

But when the asking price is $225, and you can see the zinc turning to dust under a hole in the copper plating, the time has come to "just say no."

It is a mint error - but a very common one. The copper plating is bonded to the zinc core through an explosive process, but compressed air trapped between the plating and the core and subsequently expand, causing that bubbly effect.