• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think

8 posts in this topic

Found this dime in my change. It looks like another dime got stuck with this one when it was pressed! Another dime matches the diameter of the arc exactly. The rim is grooved also but it's not so apparent in this picture. Does this look like a mint error or is it just damage after the fact?

1825235-93Dime.jpg.ecb10f4ec2010b136d57050b6c6e1f90.jpg

Not real sure. It looks like maybe post mint. If another had been pressed in to it, I don't think that the liberty letters would still had shown up. Something did press against it, but it merely looks like something that flattened the details.

By the softness of the lettering and the smooth edge of the area, it looks like it could have been struck through fabric. I don't think it was grease because the edge of the area is too smooth. What I have seen about post-mint alterations would leave an impression and would still show some sharpness in the lettering.

It's that soft lettering in the area that makes me think it's Mint made.

Scott hi.gif

I do not think this is struck through fabric, and I also do not think this is post mint. This looks to me, as best I can tell with a picture, to be struck through a blank planchet. Out there, there is probably another dime which fits perfectly into the blank, with a corresponding softly struck section. As for value, I can't tell you. Mated pairs are generaly worth alot, but just for the single coin, I don't know.

Only the obverse is affected. The reverse is perfect. Also the area with the soft lettering is lower than the field. That part of the coin is thinner than the rest.

How do you include the picture in the post? It only let's me post an attachment.

Different picture attached to this post.

1825626-93DimeDamage1.jpg.082cf6a3e0b2a6489730bb36e063e371.jpg

Let's see the odds of me finding the mate are 1 in 1,000,000,000............!

The arc is actually a groove that is kinda v shaped, sorta looks like the rim of another coin. Theese scans really don't show it well. I wish I had a camera attached to my microscope so you could really see it. I'm gonna work on that.

I think it is real, not post mint. I don't think it is struck through a planchet because if it was the letters would not be visible at all. I think it has been struck through a lost clad layer from another planchet.

Coin is almost definitely from the mint with that strike through on it. I agree with Conder101 that it Couldnt be a blank planchet or anything that solid as none of the letters would be visible in the affected area. I dont see any pattern as if it were a piece of cloth. Looks like it was struck through a piece of scrap metal (or separated clad layer :)) that was thin enough for some impression to be made from the die imho.