• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Guru with Coin Questions...

17 posts in this topic

Hi Coinees,

Just a quick question about some coins my Dad gave me

a while ago and one that has came into my possession.

I wondered if any of these had any value

(I honestly don't have any plans to sell them, I just always wanted to know):

( oh yeah - try not to laugh too hard )

1827 penny (this is the oldest and in the roughest shape)

I would say it was in poor condition.

1889 silver dollar (this has been incased in one of those

cardboard flips sine the 70's there are some black dots on it that look like tarnish)

1905 indian head cent (this as well has been incased in one of those

cardboard flips sine the 70's there are some black dots on it that look like tarnish)

1925 half dollar - Stone Mountain General Lee / General Jackson

(this has been incased in one of those cardboard flips sine the 70's)

I have dupes of a 1939 D half dollar

(this has been incased in one of those cardboard flips sine the 70's and has a good bit of tarnish one of the case has a VG written on it, I assume that is very good grade???)

1943 Mercury dime ( it has MS60 written on it) (this has been incased in one of those cardboard flips sine the 70's)

1994 silver dollar 1oz fine silver (uncirculated - has some tarnish on the tips)

well that's it?

a real gold mine eh?

from my oldman the coinee.

smirk.gif

Hello and welcome to this side of the board. These opinions are without scans or pics.

1827 Large Cent - Sounds like AG 3 - Value $10.00

1889 Morgan Dollar - Check for a Mint mark under the eagle on the back. Assuming no mint mark.. - Black spots sound bad. Do not mess with the coin in any fashion. - Any Silver Dollar is woth at least $15.00 right now. Goes up from there.

1905 Indian Cent - Value $1.00 and up depending on the grade. - The spots are bad, but a pro needs to see if he can remove them.

1925 Stone Mountain Commem - $25.00 and up depending on conditon.

1939 D Walking Libery Half Dollar - $4.00 each and up depending on condition.

1943 Mercury Dime - If the coin is truly MS 60 back then then it may be MS 63 today. Value About $15.00 to $20.00

1994 Silver American Eagle - The Tarnish is known as toning and could be worth a good premium - Any SAE is worth $14.00. Most Sell for $17.00 to $20.00 bux

Hope this helps! Good luck and post some scans or images if you can. Thanks!

I have one of those kind of coin collections also. First take that tarnished coin and buff it to a nice shine with some scotch brite, and a little acid wash will do wonders. insane.gif

I have an old Red Book price guide from 2003

your 1943 dime is around $20.00

1827 penny around $13.00

1889 dollar check to see if the Mint mark is CC if it is it's worth quite a bit $500.00 in good condition.

1905 cent is $1 in good up to $150.00 in proof.

1925 Stone mountain commemerative 1/2 dollar in proof condition $200.00

1939 D 1/2 dollar $3.50 in fine and $55.00 in MS-63

Remember these are 2003 prices. Hope this helps but what do I know I'm just a comic geek.

hi.gif Bob

I have one of those kind of coin collections also. First take that tarnished coin and buff it to a nice shine with some scotch brite, and a little acid wash will do wonders. insane.gif

DO NOT DO THIS. YOU WILL KILL THE VALUE OF THE COIN! I REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS!

hi.gif Bob

What ya doin smithy? Make sure you let a new person know that you are joking!!!! RIGHT????makepoint.gif

I thought I did by putting the insane emoticon next to it. Sorry about that Nerfherder. I can be a little sarcastic. Hopefully no one jumped on my advice. Like I said I'm more of a comic geek. The only decent coin I have is a 1913 nickle. insane.gif

I thought I did by putting the insane emoticon next to it. Sorry about that Nerfherder. I can be a little sarcastic. Hopefully no one jumped on my advice. Like I said I'm more of a comic geek. The only decent coin I have is a 1913 nickle. insane.gif

Thanks smithy. Some people who know nothing about coins may have taken this the wrong way. thumbsup2.gif

The Good news is the black spots are not bad. The bad news is the 1827 cent is in a grade we call Basil. Also has severe corrosion. The Morgan looks UNC, The Stone Mountain is nice. AU to UNC. The merc looks unc. All nice looking coins.

Values

Morgan - $25.00

Stone Mountain - $35.00

Merc - $15.00

Good luck!

oh well,...

the only coin here that has any significance to me is the 1827 cent...

I just think about a cowboy coming off the dusty trial and slapping down one of these for

a bottle of beer to quench his dry thirst.

the others my old man owned and I don't even know why he gave them to me

he never let me handle them or even really look at them growing up

maybe he was feeling guilty for being such an arse.

tongue.gif

Well I'm not the best at this but this is what I see.

1827 Lg. Cent- verdigis damaged- beyond hope.

89' Morgan- maybe $15-$25 depending on if you can get some of those marks off it. Maybe try some acetone??

Stone Mountain- a Little rough $20-$25

43 merc- very common $2-$4

94 SAE - pretty bad milk spotting - still to the right person maybe $10-$15

Just my guess, may wait for someone with more knowledge of these. Welcome to the forum! hi.gif

Welcome to the forum!

thanks...

I never though these were worth anything too much

and it is nice to know.

I do have a lot of respect for you guys' hobby

because of the medium and it's part in history.

The medium - Low Relief Sculpture is very difficult to do

trust me I have tried this in an art sculpture class in college.

The history is one that is the coolest though.

You can never get away from the fact that the world evolves around currency

and to me there is no better than the good old USA. Owning a couple of coins

from these periods lost in time is like owning a piece of time itself.

So true. You might want to soak that large cent in some type of olive oil or something for a long period of time. That's a neat old coin to have. The verdigis (corrosion) is really eating it up right now and there wouldn't be a whole lot to lose on that one.

Howdy nh3, it's good to see you in our neck of the woods. smile.gif

As others have already stated, there is no singularly valuable coin in the group. The 1827 large cent is extensively corroded, but you may be able to make it appear more chocolate in color by leaving it in olive oil for a few months. It is worth perhaps $10 as long as it is not some rare die pairing. The olive oil will help to stop any active corrosion and might flake off some debris. However, once corroded a coin will have underlying surface damage. The 1889 Morgan dollar looks like an AU/MS coin and it is perhaps $20. The spots might be able to be removed with a dip in Jeweluster or something similar, but the coin would likely look odd overall after the dip. The Stone Mountain commem is AU and there are loads of circulated Stone Mountain coins out there. This is the perfect coin for ebay where you might be able to get $40 or so for the piece. The scan of the Merc makes it appear to be nicer than MS60 and it might be MS63. A dip of this coin might be beneficial for resale, but it is really only a $5-$10 coin. The 1994 ASE is generic and might get a few dollars over the spot price of silver.