• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Camera .. Large Images.. Dial upers beware....

33 posts in this topic

So I went today I finally did it. I got the Canon EOS 30D. I am loving the camera so far. It is head and heals above my Canon EOS Digital Rebel. There is nothing to say about it but good things. The Rebel is good and I would HIGHLY recommend it. All the coin photos you have seen up to this point from me have been taken with it. I knew when I got a better camera one of the main differences would be in close up shots. Anyhow Lets get down to the goods. Photo sizes are at 100 percent and no messed with other than cropping.

Here is a close up with my old Digital Rebel

21f.jpg

Here is a close up with the 30D

nct1.jpg

They look great, but to be honest, that's not a fair comparison. You need to do the same coin, same lighting, same camera position, and same lens. Otherwise, it's like me saying that I have two pieces of fruit (the cameras), but one is much better than the other ... ignoring the fact that the one that's worse is a different type (say an apple vs. an orange) and is rotten since it's a month older. Especially because at that level of camera, the lens used plays as much - if not more - a part in the quality of the final image as the body.

Well today I took a hammer to it as a way of laying it to its final resting place the trash can. Already been broken and thrown away...

Nah..

It gets handed down. My mom got it. smile.gif

Nice pics bruce. thumbsup2.gif You mentioned no sizing except for cropping. Shouldn't that camera take bigger pics if you wanted it too. I know my S3IS takes them at 2800 pixels. I have to re-size the image after cropping. Very nice pics. I love my canon.

Bruce do you ever sleep? grin.gif

Nice camera. Can't wait to see more pics.

Always smile.gif I sleep some odd hours at times.

Bobby As to your question. That is pretty much maxed out with the small stock lens. The difference is in the insides. While the size may be close, the clarity and other such things will be different. This camera takes Razor Sharp pictures. Once I figure this out a bit better I can even get the depth a bit better.

Congratulations on your pick-up, Bruce.

I shoot with an older Rebel XT, equipped with a dedicated Macro lens (nothing fancy - Sigma 28-135 with Macro at 135) and extremely happy with the results. I guess if I was in your shoes - I would've spent the money you did on a better lens, than a body, but to each their own.

Your second shot is sharp. And you should be able to mimic that on your Rebel by upping the aperture.

Cheers,

~Roman

WOW!! What great photos Bruce. You should be able to undeniably grade MS69 to MS70 variances with that camera. If a blemish exists on a modern coin it would show under that tight scrutiny. If you feel it is MS70 then it should be MS70.

Great camera. Not an item I could afford but I can't get over the quality of the pics.

Good purchase.

Roman - This Camera is head and heals above my Rebel. The shutter speed is much needed for me as I will be taking alot of sports shoots soon. My rebel simply would not have done it. Next for me is a Telephoto lens. I am looking at a 400mm decicated lens from Canon. It is a bit pricy but worth it I think.

Bruce those are some great shots. And i think jesbroken brought up a very good point.

When you get a photo of that quality you are able to see things you might have otherwised missed. This would help tremendously when gathering up coins for a submission. Sort of weed them out ,so to speak. Thanks for posting cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

BTW that is a great photo Bobby posted below also yay.gif

Like the quick shot Bruce. Just to compare, this is with my S3IS. I have a super-macro mode on this that lets me get 0cm. I have to re-size this down from 2815pix to the size it is now. If I left it without re-sizing, the pic would be so large it would be worthless. This is about 200pix down from the last one you just posted. I really have a feeling that you should be able to set your pics to this size. These cameras have alot of options to them. This is good for cropping out those real detailed areas if need to.

1880SMorganNGCMS63PLRevObv.jpg

Wow. That is jsut amazing. Is there any magnification on it, or is that just normal? If so, you don't need a microscope at all.

If your asking me jason, no it's just normal.

BTW Bruce, this is a crop from a normal pic also.

morgandiecrack010.jpg

That is a nice camera - I just went out and bought the Nikon D80 with the new 18-200 lens. What lens were you using for the second picture?

Who ya askin'?