• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the hottest type coin right now??

9 posts in this topic

Which type coin do you think is the hottest right now? One that is, most of the time, selling over book. Do you think your pick will continue to stay hot? Do you collect your pick?

Anything toned that does not look too AT goes for over book.

If I had to pick one series. Mid Range Barbers. Try buying those at sheet levels. Halfs especially.

Morgan Dollars are always popular with newer collectors, but they're not much of a type coin. I'd agree with CBH's for a better example of a type coin.

Which type coin do you think is the hottest right now? One that is, most of the time, selling over book. Do you think your pick will continue to stay hot? Do you collect your pick?

Morgans are always hot. Go to the coin shows... you will see table after table of Morgan dollars. Over the last two years, Morgans have really been dominant, even pushing some other coins out--like early red Lincoln Cents (I am having a hard time finding them).

I think Morgans will stay hot for a while, especially if the silver market stays above $13. I see more Morgans than Silver Eagles, even though there's more silver in the ASE's, the "romance" in something from the days of the "old west" is more intriguing to the casual collector than a new coin.

I have a nice Morgan collection. Nothing special. I just picked up my first two CC Morgans (common dates) that are nice. But it's just an average collection. I also have a collection of proof and uncirculated ASEs. All my proof ASEs are in Mint packaging. My uncirculated ASEs are in a Littleton Album (it was free) and I have a bunch of NGC MS69 slabbed ASEs. I don't own any slabbed Morgans. I sell those so I can buy nice ungraded Morgans!

BTW... I sent a bunch of Morgans to ANACS. They were offering VAM reseaerch service for a flat fee ($14 per coin). I am waiting for their return. I want to sell them so I can afford a 1902-S and 1903-S to complete my 20th century dollar set!

Cool stuff! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif

Which type coin(s) do you think is the hottest right now? One that is, most of the time, selling over "book".

Do you think all of your pick's

will continue to stay in demand as historical value opportunity coins with a fundemential reason to rise in demand? makepoint.gifYES makepoint.gif893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

1) pine tree shillings large and small planchets--- GOOD

BETTER and BEST!!--- those choice xf and above with original surfaces

2) 1861 clark gruber half eagle

colorado territorial gold in

really choice au----GOOD

choice unc.----BETTER

choice unc. with totally thick crusty lusterous original surfaces and coloration--- BEST!!!!

3) flowing hair half dimes 1794-1795

solid vf and above---- GOOD

choice xf and above ---BETTER

choice xf and above with thick wonderful crusty original never dipped skin---BEST

the cloud9.gifultimate cloud9.gif would be choice xf and above with thick wonderful

crusty original never dipped skin dated 1794 flowerred.gif

4) 1857-1858 flying eagle cents in true gem to superb gem 100% fully struck original surfaces, great coloration and prooflike cameo --GOOD

1858 small letters in true gem ms prooflike cameo struck with proof dies----BETTER

1858 small letters in true superb gem ms prooflike cameo struck with proof dies----BEST

5) gem+ to superb gem proof morgans that are

not only solid but high end for the grade

and with incredibly thick original skins and with a strong cameo underneath the thick medium toning

also with a full strike over the ear

deeply mirrored ---GOOD

makepoint.gifno dipped out white cloudy hazy mirrored coins or coins with the urine colored toning around the rims or through the devices makepoint.gif

gem to superb gem proof classic original velvet boxed/cased set toned morgans that have a certain "look"

that you used to see many times and you sometimes still see even today hard to describe; sort of like blue green lavendar toning darker in the middle going to light golden lavendar greenish to the rims both sides cameo also underneath the toning---BETTER

superb gem proof classic original velvet boxed/cased set toned morgans that have a certain "look"

that you used to see many times and you sometimes still see even today hard to describe; sort of like blue green lavendar toning darker in the middle going to light golden lavendar greenish to the rims both sides cameo underneath the toning might not have cam on the insent on the holder as the toning is too dark but cameo none the less!!---BEST hail.gif

6) choice unc. to gem unc. classic head quarter eagles---

GOOD

choice unc. to gem unc. classic head quarter eagles with wonderful thick original skins never dipped ---BETTER

choice unc. to gem unc. classic head quarter eagles with wonderful thick original skins never dipped and prooflike---

BEST

choice unc. to gem unc. classic head quarter eagles with wonderful thick original skins never dipped and prooflike dated 1835,1837,1838--- cloud9.gif THE ULTIMATE cloud9.gif

7) civil war era 1861-1865 choice to gem proof gold strongly cameoed and original

makepoint.gifnon ultra conserved makepoint.gif --- GOOD cloud9.gif BETTER cloud9.gif BEST cloud9.gif ULTIMATE cloud9.gif

8) choice to gem proof liberty eagles 1880-1907 with strong cameos and totally undipped thick original skins

good cloud9.gifbetter cloud9.gifbest cloud9.gifultimate cloud9.gif

9) 1795 flowing hair early dollars and halves choice fine and above with good surfaces and nice decades old coloration from cabinet, envelope toning or just a killer original dove grey hail.gif--GOOD cloud9.gifBETTER cloud9.gifBEST cloud9.gifULTIMATE

893whatthe.gifmore to come flamed.gif

Bust half-dollars, hands-down. Just five years ago, you could buy VF coins for $30, EF coins for $60, and AU coins for $160. Today? TRIPLE those prices. Greysheet was wrong back then, but even though it's skyrocketed, it is STILL behind the market. I also remember from just five years ago that you could go to any reasonably-sized show and pick up album-toned busties for just small premium over sheet. Today, they have absolutely vanished from the market. I have a want-list that's two kilometers long for clients needing toned bust halves for their sets, and it's amazing how seldom I can fill an order.

I don't think there's even a close second.

By the way, the type coin that's cooled off the most is bust-dollars, in my opinion. Greysheet is too high right now for those coins.

By the way, the type coin that's cooled off the most is bust-dollars, in my opinion. Greysheet is too high right now for those coins.

I have to agree. I think this is in large part due the fact not too many people can afford one that is not worn to hell. A nice VF one is going to set you back a good chunk of change. While alot of collectors here may not think it is a good good, there are many many more who do. The Bust Dollar would be hotter if it was in the Dansco 7070 Type set Album.

Here is another one that has gone thru the roof. Buffalo Nickels. 7 years ago a whole set was about half what it is now. That is when I first started putting my set together. The only coin that has not really moved is the 38 D, for obvious reasons.