• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you JUST tell me what this coin IS???????????

19 posts in this topic

This coin was either washed or dipped in the 1920’s. It was then tucked away in someone’s sock drawer for safe keeping for a few decades. In the early 1950’s it was put in an album. It was removed from that album only a few years ago when it was submitted to a TPG service.

Hope that helps thumbsup2.gif

This coin was either washed or dipped in the 1920’s. It was then tucked away in someone’s sock drawer for safe keeping for a few decades. In the early 1950’s it was put in an album. It was removed from that album only a few years ago when it was submitted to a TPG service.

Sounds Market Acceptable smile.gif

Every CBH should come with this sort of disclaimer... grin.gif

Give the coin a sniff - it may be the rare "stinky Liberty" variety with crying eagle reverse. If it doesn't smell immediately, then scratch it gently with your fingernails, as it may even be the rarer "scratch and sniff" variety. In either case, a good dip in nitric acid will remove the smell if it's too unpleasant.

Hoot

thanks, really, I appreciate the kind comments on this lovely coin. I posted it because, yes, it's an 1819/8 as a couple of guys above noticed, and it's in an ngc 1819 holder. I contacted ngc about this and they informed me that an 1819/8 overdate is not noted as such on the holder unless a designation was requested, so I'll have to send it back in and pay for a designation review + postage. Hmmm...I just find that kind of odd. Whatever. If this is how the grading service does it, that's how they do it.

And Winston, you might be right on the nose! I'd like to think of it in a cigar box, but you know, my dad used to keep coins in his sock drawer too...ain't that somethin'

i have what appear to be 2 of the 1850 Baldwin & Co. "Horsemen" pieces.

they appear to be the cast replicas, because they are obviously dark and and gold.

does anyone here know if they're worth anything at all?

Not to steal the OP's thunder...but this new poster suddenly interjected and I'm answering the question.

Baldwin.jpgBaldwinrev.jpg

If this is what your copies look like, then yes, they are cast copies of a very rare

gold coin and sell on e-bay for a couple of bucks.

BTW...welcome to the Forum filapho, you could have started a thread with this question, that's what we're here for.

Hey Mike,

I agree that an overdate should be noted on the label without having to request it. As for the coin....holy canoli, that one is a hot one. I bet there are a lot of EBay dealers that would juice this one and make it look like one of those BC Morgans without ever realizing that it looks so much better pictured like this.

Nice coin Mike.