• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden silhouette Britannias!

12 posts in this topic

I like Philip Nathan's Britannia designs. The 2007 design by Christopher Le Brun looks out of place in the series specially with Britannia rendered without a helmet. frown.gif

I would love to have one of those silhouette Britannia set (featuring the five different designs by Philip Nathan) for $250.00 delivered at the most. cool.gif

What the heck does "If I just sell the car, I can up my bid..." under my handle mean? confused.gif

When you reach certain number of posts, the little sayings will automatically change. That's just one of them.

I like Philip Nathan's Britannia designs. The 2007 design by Christopher Le Brun looks out of place in the series specially with Britannia rendered without a helmet. frown.gif

Intresting observation. I did not notice that Britannia was not wearing a helmet. Not being British but taken by the beauty of the series, I did not know that it had meaning. Does it? Can you explain to us non-Brits?

I still like the rendering. It is very artistic, even dramatic. I only wish the Royal Mint struck these like reverse proofs instead of all shiny. I think the reverse proof style would have been better.

Scott hi.gif

Neither am I British. Not sure if there is any symbolism or meaning for Britannia wearing a helmet but from the very first renderings of her (when the Romans started calling Great Britain as Britannia), she has always worn one (or at least all the ones I have seen). I guess it would boil down to tradition at the very least for her being depicted with a helmet. Maybe an actual British will chime in and give us the skinny. blush.gif