• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

proof morgans?

27 posts in this topic

i have 2 20th century sets going 1 is proofs and the other is ms. i am to my morgan on the proof set and was wondering how many proofs were made in all and how deep will my pockets have to be to fill this slot?

please and thank you!

o boy this wont be eazy! the numbers are soooooooooo low in mintage. this is gana take the big wallet

Maybe depending on your actual wants, you might try for a DMPL Morgan. It would probably be a more reachable coin.

proof morgans are really one of the top beautiful 19th cenytury silver proof coins

you usually see or at least i do 90% of the proof morgans for sale are usually the dipped out ugly off white hazy cloudy mirrored or that dip residue retoning sh*t brown color around the outer edges of thruogh the coin

pass on all these morgans.........

i tyink really choice to superb gem proof morgans are a great opportunity value coin

i would only buy an originally toned cased proof set coin and you do see some of those around if you lookcarefully enough... they have a distinctive look and toning pattern and coloration.

make sure the coin has above average eye appeal.

the highest mintage i think is the 1880 proof morgans at like 1300 or so coins struck in proof and usually one of the lower mintage dates are into like 700 or so minted

i would only but a killer eye appeal non dipped totally original again great eye appealling coin

and pcgs verses ngc there arew wide variances in grading

i would stick to pcgs only

a high edn great eye appeal large proof morgan dollar usually means buying one proof 65 or higher i guess you might find some decent proof 64 coins with killer eye appeal gem eye appeal and/or undergraded but i would stick to proof 65 and above. a true gem proof 65 pcgs morgan dollar with a good skin original skin to it with great eye appeal if you can find one it might take some looking

would be approx. $6500.00

i would go for a really killer proof 66 high end pcgs proof morgan and this will run you 11k but BUT it has to have the right look and coloration and be amazing for what it is and killer then you got a great value opportunity coin

most all on the market are dipped out aND just crappy... it takes some time to find one but it is possible. now the proof 67 grade to me is overrated and just cant justify the price 15k+

you will see 95% of the proof morgans graded proof 66 and 67 most all in ngc holders

you can buy an ngc coin but it is going to take some looking and you really got to know and u7nderstand what you are looking at

it has to have the right look and be gem and have this original cased mint set toning you know the cases collectors bought outside of the mint to put their silver and minor coin proof sets in with the leather covered wooden box with velvet/pluch inside openings to put the coins

i guess you can really look to find a killer proof 64 morgan in proof pcgs/ngc but if it truly has the originality and the special look and toned correctly and high end i would say you are going to pay close to 5k for it

as this would be a rare coin to find in a proof 64 holder as usually these coins are cracked and upgraded

now you might find some good proof 64 coins in current holders with all the undergrading both services have been doing as of late and again i am sure there are some real pigs/rats/dogs in holders... the whole bell curve thing

Michael,

Didn't you get the memo? You're only allowed to cut&paste, voice your opinion only if it is Happy Talk, and not post anything educational? poke2.gif

Seriously, nice post & thanks for sharing...Mike

One of the things that some people really get hung up on when it comes to 20th century type sets is that all the coins should be dated in the 20th century. That can make your choices a lot tougher if you need to fill the slot with a Proof Morgan dated from 1900 to 1904. The 1901 Morgan has had a lot of pressure put upon it from date collectors because the 1901-P is so tough in Mint State. The 1902 to ’04 Proof dollars are unattractive coins IMO. During the years the mint polished to dies in such a way as to leave little contrast between the fields and the devices. The leaves the 1900 has you best bet for a “20th century” Proof Morgan.

There were also some Proof Morgans made in 1921, but those coins are mega expensive and sometimes controversial with Zerbe and Chapman varieties noted in price catalogs.

The leaves the 1900 has you best bet for a “20th century” Proof Morgan.

Of course, then you get into the whole "1900 is not in the 20th century. It is the final year of the 19th." thing. poke2.gif

Michael,

Didn't you get the memo? You're only allowed to cut&paste, voice your opinion only if it is Happy Talk, and not post anything educational? poke2.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the coin is not dmpl weather you leave it in or out of the holder it is still not dmpl

but if you want to sell it to some OTHER sucker for dmpl money you need the holder so DO NOT BREAK IT OUT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

MikeInFL

Michael,

Didn't you get the memo? You're only allowed to cut&paste, voice your opinion only if it is Happy Talk, and not post anything educational?

Truthfully if you are going to post a reply don't you think you should post it in the correct thread??

Your lack of testicular fortitude is showing,,,Again thumbsup2.gif

Michael,

Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations.- Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

It's a Man Thing,,,I don't think you will understand... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Michael,

Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations.- Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

It's a Man Thing,,,I don't think you will understand... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I think this one is more fitting for your post..

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.

screwy.gif

Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts. -Marcus Aurelius

Have a nice day...Michelle

One of the things that some people really get hung up on when it comes to 20th century type sets is that all the coins should be dated in the 20th century. That can make your choices a lot tougher if you need to fill the slot with a Proof Morgan dated from 1900 to 1904. The 1901 Morgan has had a lot of pressure put upon it from date collectors because the 1901-P is so tough in Mint State. The 1902 to ’04 Proof dollars are unattractive coins IMO. During the years the mint polished to dies in such a way as to leave little contrast between the fields and the devices. The leaves the 1900 has you best bet for a “20th century” Proof Morgan.

Very good point, I was wondering why the 1895 was mentioned by another poster, as I would assume with a 20th century set you are talking 1900-04 (unless you have big bucks and then you could go for 1921). I personally prefer proof coins with cameo contrast, and agree with Bill that if you're looking for a contrasted coin 1900 would be the way to go.

Here's my one and only Morgan proof, and as you can see it is from 1893. It is graded PR65 in an old rattler. Most dealers that have seen it think it would grade PR66Cameo nowadays.

Morgan93PR65.jpg

proof morgans are really one of the top beautiful 19th cenytury silver proof coins

you usually see or at least i do 90% of the proof morgans for sale are usually the dipped out ugly off white hazy cloudy mirrored or that dip residue retoning sh*t brown color around the outer edges of thruogh the coin

pass on all these morgans.........

i tyink really choice to superb gem proof morgans are a great opportunity value coin

i would only buy an originally toned cased proof set coin and you do see some of those around if you lookcarefully enough... they have a distinctive look and toning pattern and coloration....

Michael, what IS a cased proof set coin, and can you find a photo of what you would consider a great proof Morgan (PF65).

Im in the same boat as ant. I need a proof Morgan fo the type set as well, and I decided to do a proof set around it. - 1879.

BTW - Michael - do you have info on proof 1879 Morgans ?

NIce coin sky. I can see that going PF66Cam.

Michael

a cased proof set morgan is one that from the early 1880's on usually were bought by collectors directly from the philly mint walk ins and they usually bought the minor and silver coins or just the silver coins and had them put into a ready made box sold outside of the mint at various locations in philly close to the mint andalso ny city

and these boxes were velvet/plush lined and with a wooden boxed container covered in cheap or imitation leather

and they usually toned the morgan proofs a certain unmistaken coloration with a certain look and toning patterns and you usedto see many of these coins in the past decades in auctinos as it was popular to break up the sets 1960's- 1980's and many collectors loved the large proof morgans

well it is a popular coin

a nice gem proof morgan if it is wonderfully cased set colored as perthe above and also a true gem proof 65 pcgs/ngc and many times cameoed but will bot get the cameo on the holder due to the deeper toning but it is still cameo nonetheless

a cool coin to own

i will try to find an example of this proof morgan toning somewhere on the net

I need a proof Morgan fo the type set as well, and I decided to do a proof set around it. - 1879.

BTW - Michael - do you have info on proof 1879 Morgans ?

Michael

hi there michael

the 1879 proof morgan is one of the more available as its mintage of 1100 suggests and it is somewhat easy to find a really choice just miss gem example but true gem proofs 65+ are really rare as they usually do not have the flash and blast with a usually lacklustre appearance

usually are dipped examples and they are usually well cameoed but not the killer cameo as on the 1880's dates

or the deep monster frosty cameoes usually seen on the 1897 1898 usually the 1898 is the most technially superb eye appeal and so well made that this is thre high water mark for proof morgans with killer mirrors heavy frost and overall great eye appeal

1879 proof morgans are usually dipped white or with lttle to no toning

i think with few known or even seen original proof sets of the silver coins this is why they are not usually deeply toned as such??

there is an original cased proof set with the cent right up to the double eagle in the smithsonian and ANS in nyny