• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sunglasses Needed!!

30 posts in this topic

So I did it again. The color bug hit me. I went and bought another Morgan today. NGC 1880 S MS 62. Grade is not why I got this coin! This coin reminds me of Skyman's avatar coin! Have a look and enjoy!! I paid prolly too much, but I do not care. This coin really does it for me! Images are not juiced!

80stoned.jpg

80stoned1.jpg

Love the coin thumbsup2.gif

could you please tell me HOW this type of tone happens.. i have looked at a lot of these on this site and every one comments on how nice they are but now one seens to say how it happens

thanks dooly thumbsup2.gif

Dooly, I cannot say for 100% certain how this one toned. This reminds me of a nice bag toned Morgan gone to a full extent.

Very nice Morgan Bruce. thumbsup2.gif

In regards to Dooley's question about this type of toning, I am interested as well to know more about it and how it happens.

Rey

? do you mean bag from the mint ?

Correct. The mint used potato sack like bags. Each bag would usally have 1000 coins in it. Many of these bags sat in bank vaults for years.

Very nice Morgan Bruce. thumbsup2.gif

In regards to Dooley's question about this type of toning, I am interested as well to know more about it and how it happens.

Rey

Rey,

If you want to hear and learn more about toning I have a DVD on toning from the ANA that you can borrow. If so, just PM me you address and I’ll drop it in the mail tomorrow – all I ask is that you send it back

Rey, think of that coin in a mint sealed bag along with 999 more Morgans lying obverse down and laying on a pallet with other bags with reverse touching the bag. Oh in a vault that has no climate control. Like the GSA hoard of CC's that ended up in the old SF vault. thumbsup2.gif

Correct. The mint used potato sack like bags. Each bag would usally have 1000 coins in it. Many of these bags sat in bank vaults for years.

Aha ! so a porus bag in an air tight safe regulaly opend a closed trapping the air at that time in history with what ever is going on in the air at that moment.. hence the diffrent tones created over the time YES?NO?

hi.gif

The Battle Creek hoard is a good example. All of those coins sitting there together in bags for hundreds of years, just waiting. Not even being moved. The toning on those coins was so brilliant that NGC decided to award every last coin the STAR for eye appeal (though some didn't tone nearly as beautifully as others). But the bags put a distinct textile pattern on the coins sometimes, and IMO those are the truly beautiful toners.

Aha ! so a porus bag in an air tight safe regulaly opend a closed trapping the air at that time in history with what ever is going on in the air at that moment.. hence the diffrent tones created over the time YES?NO?

hi.gif

Sort of. I think the different colors come from the time the silver has had to oxodize. Eventually, the coin will turn completely black. That is just the way the color spectrum goes.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken!

That is very beautiful Morgan there Bruce! Nice pickup. BTW, you never pay too much for a coin you want!

Bobby I guess you are right about this one. You can never pay too much. Now I just gotta watch it or I will be buried in these. So much for saving money! lolsmile.gif

The colors are due to the thickness of the silver sulfide layer on the surface of the coin. Morgan dollars that tone like Bruce's example are most likely the result of coins that were kept within their Mint bags for many years.

US MInt Bag "lead" official title, if anyone cares to follow up...jute has been around for 100's of years. BTW...nice Morgan Bruce, the colors have that natural spectrum.

IS : 3344 : 1965

SPECIFICATION FOR D.W. TARPAULING JUTE BAGS FOR

PACKING (MINT) COINS

Second Reprint August 1982

(Incorporating Amendments No. 1 and 2)

Table 1: Particulars of Tarpauling and Bags

(Clause 4.1)

Sl.No. Characteristic Requirement Tolerance

i) Dimensions of a bag:

Size 1

a) Outside length 47 cm (or 18½ in)

b) Outside width 35 cm (or 18¾ in)

a) Outside length 42 cm (or 16½ in)

Size 2

b) Outside width 28 cm (or 11 in)

Christo_pull_hair.gif

ii) Weight per bag:

Size 1

Size 2

210 g

155 g

+20 g

- 15 g

+15 g

- 10 g

iii) Ends per dm (or porter) 86(10) ±5

iv) Picks per dm (or shots per in) 48(12) ±3

v) Breaking load of tarpauling Strip method (100x200 mm):

Warpway 170 kg (or 375 lb)

Weftway 180 kg(or 397 lb)

vi) Breaking load of seam (Strip size 50x200 mm) 67 kg

(or 148 lb) -

Table 2: Requirements of Packed Bales

(Clause 4.2)

Sl.No. Characteristic Requirement

i) Total number of bags per bale Not less than the declared number

ii) Contract weight of a bale See Note 1

iii) Corrected net weight of a bale Not less than contract weight

iv) Moisture regain 22 percent, Max

v) Oil content on dry deoiled material basis 8 percent, Max

Note 1 : Contract weight of a bale is calculated as follows:

Contract weight of a bale = nominal weight of a bag x specified number of bags per bale

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Humbug ..............

Mike Likes Whitelike smile.gif OR .. oFFFF Whitelike ..... OR GLOWING Mirror WhiteLIKE ..... Colours are BOOOOGUSSSSS !

smile.gif

.. NiCe CoIn ThOugH .. thumbsup2.gif

cool.gif

Had my shades handy 893whatthe.gif

Very nice Bruce, this HD monitor shook a little though. Dazzling 27_laughing.gifcloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

Your monitor ok now?? Did the headache go away??

Looks mighty purty, Bruce!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif As you've already seen I commented on this coin ATS, but a nice coin deserves comments in multiple places.

As to bag toning yes, this would be a form of bag toning. Generally the bags would be tossed (quite literally) in the corner of a vault and left there. The mint would pull them out as needed, which in many cases meant they weren't brought out until the early 1960's. Then collectors and/or hoarders would get the bags and toss them in the corner of their vault. Every now and then some of these hoards will hit the market.

As to textile, Morgan bags had a much wider weave than Peace dollar bags, which you can easily discern when you see textile toning on the two series. Here's an example of textile toning for a Morgan (oh, and the image is by Bruce):

sh18880md1.jpg

Bruce, good deal would depend on who you talk to. However, I would pay that amount and be happy to own the coin.

cool.gif

Had my shades handy 893whatthe.gif

Very nice Bruce, this HD monitor shook a little though. Dazzling 27_laughing.gifcloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

Your monitor ok now?? Did the headache go away??

Between that coin and my display background it got a little ruff 27_laughing.gif

1821437-Picture010.jpg

pixel abuse1821437-4_1_72.gif

1821437-4_1_72.gif.21ffe420997ecf2390d922686df0cee2.gif

Bruce, good deal would depend on who you talk to. However, I would pay that amount and be happy to own the coin.

A good deal as far as color and pricing go.

Irvin give the monitor a break.. Gonna have a pixel attack!