• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

types vs. varieties in lincoln cents?

10 posts in this topic

I'm unclear on what the difference is between types and varieties - maybe someone can help me figure it out? Redbook has the different compositions (bronze, steel, etc) for lincolns listed as varieties. Are the var's/types as I've got them listed?

T1V1: wheat ears reverse, bronze

T1V2: wheat ears reverse, steelies

T2V1: memorial reverse, copper

T2V2: memorial reverse, zinc

T3V1: 2009 lincoln cents in zinc?

T3V2: 2009 lincoln cents in copper?

If the 2009 cents will have 4 reverses, does that mean we'll have types 3, 4, 5, and 6?

More than likely they will just be a variety. Kind of like the large date, small date, and all 7 varieties of the 82' lincolns.

Hey Bobby,

I was off line for a couple of hours. Did I miss your 3000 post give away? If I'm not to late sign me up. blush.gif

Hey Bobby,

I was off line for a couple of hours. Did I miss your 3000 post give away? If I'm not to late sign me up. blush.gif

I didn't even know I hit until someone mentioned it. Let me see if I can conjur up something for a give-away. thumbsup2.gif

You know Bobby, being one of us Texans, he is just being careful and taking the time to write up the post announcing the give away so that as many of us as possible out here can benefit from his generosity. acclaim.gif

Right Bobby?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rey

You know Bobby, being one of us Texans, he is just being careful and taking the time to write up the post announcing the give away so that as many of us as possible out here can benefit from his generosity. acclaim.gif

Right Bobby?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rey

Took the words right outta my mouth Rey 27_laughing.gif

Back to the original question ... I would suggest you use your own definitions. For example, I actually am looking for many different Lincolns for my "type" set: 1909 VDB, 1909 non-VDB, 1918 return of VDB, 1943 steel, 1944 bullet composition, 1947 regular composition, 1959 memorial, a couple around 1970 with different head sizes, and 1982 zinc.

It's really in the eye of the beholder. I would strictly consider two types of Lincolns -- Wheat and Memorial reverses. The rest are varieties. But, many consider the VDB 1909 to be a type in and of itself and include it in their type collections.

It's because of this that I just gave up on doing what other people do and went with my own definitions. Good luck on deciding!

I'm unclear on what the difference is between types and varieties - maybe someone can help me figure it out? Redbook has the different compositions (bronze, steel, etc) for lincolns listed as varieties. Are the var's/types as I've got them listed?

T1V1: wheat ears reverse, bronze

T1V2: wheat ears reverse, steelies

T2V1: memorial reverse, copper

T2V2: memorial reverse, zinc

T3V1: 2009 lincoln cents in zinc?

T3V2: 2009 lincoln cents in copper?

If the 2009 cents will have 4 reverses, does that mean we'll have types 3, 4, 5, and 6?

Personally, I am for any definition that you can come up with that suits your definition. I am in the process of putting together an uncirculated Lincoln type set as follows:

Type 1: 1909 VDB (the 1909-S VDB is too expensive)

Type 2: Wheat ears reverse, non-VDB

Type 3: Steel Cents

Type 4: Shotgun shell cents (1944-45 cents made with recycled shotgun shells)

Type 5: Copper Memorial Reverse

Type 6: Copper-coated zinc Memorial reverse

Once I find the coins with the grades I want, all six are going into an NGC multi-holder. Currently, I'm missing the 1909 VDB in MS65RD or better.

For the 2009, I would consider them types in the same manner as the Westward Journey Nickels are considered types. Unfortunately, there were seven Jefferson Nickel types (original issue, wartime silver alloy, 4 Westward Journey types, and the current type) and the maximum for the NGC multiholder is six coins.

BTW: The mint can change the reverse for 2010 as the "permanant" issue.

Scott hi.gif

I don't think there is a clear dividing line between types and varieties. Generally speaking, an intentional change to a design creates a new type, and an inadvertant change creates a variety. But that distinction, like any other distinction that I have seen advanced, breaks down, and I don't try to follow it consistantly. There is a grey area in which I use the terms to emphasize degrees of differences without the intent of using the terms in a technical manner.

I use the following list of types for my own collection:

1. V.D.B. reverse

2. No V.D.B. reverse

3. Steel

4. Bronze Memorial reverse

5. Zinc Memorial reverse

The NGC registry combines the Bronze and Zinc Memorial cents into one type, leaving only four types of Lincolns.

So, there's no hard rule on this. It's all up to the individual collector.