• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Submission coins are back

21 posts in this topic

Coins are back and here are the pictures: Link to original post:

Variety question - 1851 1/2 C-1

1826 50C - Improperly Cleaned:

picture099zs4.jpgpicture100gu1.jpg

1907 25C - Polished - Proof coin

picture101gm8.jpgpicture102it7.jpg

1805 1C - Corrosion:

picture103fo4.jpgpicture104xo0.jpg

1853 1C - Corrosion:

picture106gs0.jpgpicture107ms5.jpg

1867 S 50C - Improperly Cleaned

picture108mp7.jpgpicture109ly1.jpg

1901 50C - Improperly Cleaned

picture110vt0.jpgpicture111ei9.jpg

1810 1/2C - Corrosion

picture112to2.jpgpicture113iq4.jpg

1851 1/2C C-1 - Improperly Cleaned

picture114gk5.jpgpicture115it6.jpg

Dang Dwaine, did they grade anything? That's a shame. Sorry to hear of these. They don't look that bad to me. The 07' proof does look cleaned but other than that??

Yes, they did grade some of my items. I will post those pics later. Can NCS do anything with the corrosion?

Yes, they did grade some of my items. I will post those pics later. Can NCS do anything with the corrosion?

Corrosion can be a major problem. If it's too bad, I doubt they can. It would probably depend on if it has eaten into the surface of the coin. You might want to ask in the "Ask NCS" forum with a pic. They are good at responding and giving any info they can.

Just because someone clean a coin why not still grade? Would cleaning it just lower the grade? Kind of makes me not want to send coins into NGC to get graded.

ANACS will grade cleaned coins. PCGS and NGC do not. (not that I've ever seen anyway).

You said it skyman. I can see the reasoning on some of these but some I just can't see the bb. I can se the lines on the 07 quarter and I think I see the corrosion on some of the cents, but the rest I haven't located the resoning. If anyone can give some insight, please chime in.

Thanks

I would think that the coloring would be an indication of being cleaned Dwaine. I don't know if it's the pics, but they do seem a brighter color than should be. These coins should be darker from what I've seen in the past and posted here on the forum.

Dwaine not be the bad guy, but why would you send these coins in ? I understand the proof but why the rest? I agree with NGC on every one of them. The ONLY coin NCS MIGHT be able to help is the 51 Half Cent. The rest are far too gone. Take a deep breath and 2 steps back. Not picking on you but I hate to see this happen.

Just because someone clean a coin why not still grade? Would cleaning it just lower the grade? Kind of makes me not want to send coins into NGC to get graded.

ANACS will grade cleaned coins. PCGS and NGC do not. (not that I've ever seen anyway).

PCGS and NGC BOTH grade cleaned coins. The large percentage of ALL copper and silver (and I suspect gold, but that isn't my field) coins minted prior to 1850 have been cleaned--both graded and raw. They simply don't admit it. Instead, they call it "market acceptable." The problem with submitting cleaned coins is that the TPG's are extremely inconsistent when deciding whether to grade them or not. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

PCGS and NGC BOTH grade cleaned coins. The large percentage of ALL copper and silver (and I suspect gold, but that isn't my field) coins minted prior to 1850 have been cleaned--both graded and raw. They simply don't admit it. Instead, they call it "market acceptable." The problem with submitting cleaned coins is that the TPG's are extremely inconsistent when deciding whether to grade them or not. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I was going to say something like this, but I was also going to include ANACS. Certainly ANACS will grade cleaned coins but it's hard to predict if they will put them in a problem holder or a no-problem holder. In the past I found it common to find cleaned AU coins in ANACS holders with no mention of the cleaning. Now, with the new holders, they seem to be even more inconsistent. I've seen coins designated as cleaned that I can't see any signs of a cleaning and I've seen obviously cleaned coins in the new no-problem holders.

I have six coins shipping today to ANACS for reholder. Three of the coins have obvious cleaning (or at least dipping) and one other was most likely cleaned long ago. Of those four only one of them is a no-brainer to me and the other three may be deemed "market acceptable".

I have sent over 30 coins to ANACS for reholder and have had four (as I recall) redesignated as cleaned. A couple of those I didn't suspect as being cleaned and others that I thought were cleaned were given a pass and put in the new holder. Two other coins that were cracked out of NGC holders and sent in for grading were designated as cleaned. confused-smiley-013.gif

Dwaine---- First let me say that I genuinely feel for you. We all have been there and done that to a certain extent. But, you need to understand that you have NOW a marvelous opportunity to learn the WHY of it.

Instead of being upset at NGC----try to find out the reasons for the BB. Look at each coin and KEEP ON LOOKING AT IT----until you come away with an idea of WHY they did not put it into a slab. Here are some hints for you.

Hairlines are bad. Not ALL hairlines will cause a BB. But, for the most part, hairlines are dangerous. Your Proof coin is evidence of that.

Spots are usually not soooo good either. Any kind of spot may be suspicious. Look at the area around the "C" of cents on your 1810 half cent. Then look at the reason they gave for a BB.

Anything on a coin that makes the coin look greasy or shiny or polished---usually NOT GOOD. If the fields are real 'clean' looking but the areas around the letters are dark and very old looking----then maybe someone rubbed or used a Qtip or an eraser---or a lot of different things. Coin can look great---even retoning a nice color. But the coin may have been messed with long ago. Your 67S coin probably falls into this category.

Learn what a particular series of coins should look like---colorwise. Your 1851 does not look correct. It is something to be able to pick a coin up and know just from the "LOOK" of the coin----whether it is OK or not.

All of this and much more takes TIME to understand. Don't be frustrated. Just pick yourself up---dust yourself off---and dig in and learn. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks for the advice Bruce and supertooth. These were all items in my Dansco 7070 and will be going back in there. I will take a look at all the coins that were BB in more detail to try and learn what caused them to be BB. My lighting was a little off on most of the pictures and I know that has an affect for view coins online. Disappointed yes, but will take this as a chance to study the coins in more details. I was also just trying to fill some holes in my type set registry.

well looking at those, i dont think i would have sent them in. but live and learn i guess! if you want them graded send them to PCI, they will grade any problem coins.

You should have posted these coins here first. Even I could pick out the problem coins. No offense intended, but it would have saved you all those submission fees.

I agree that the OP should have posted pics here beforehand, but as others have pointed out, he can still learn from this experience.

That said, I believe that some may be under the impression that all the coins from the submission were returned in bodybags (I know I was), but after reviewing the old thread, I see that 50% were returned bodybags. Still not pretty, but it could have been worse. Here's the entire submission:

1833 1C - CORROSION

1805 1C - CORROSION

1810 1/2 C - CORROSION

1851 1/2 C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED

1865 2c - VF30BN

1954 1C - PF66RD

1909 VDB - MS64RB

1937 10C - MS66

1914 10C - VF30

1856 SMALL DATE 10C - VG8

1907 25C - POLISHED

1826 50C - IMPROPERLY CLEANED