• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some envelope toned Franklins.

13 posts in this topic

I bought a group of 6 envelope toned Franklins in April. LucyBop from ATS was kind enough to volunteer to image a '58-D of mine recently, and I asked her if she would be interested in imaging some other Frankies. She was kind enough to say yes. Here are 3 coins that she recently imaged. I think she did a great job.

The coins were all graded by PCGS and the respective grades were 1950 MS65FBL, 1953 MS65FBL, and 1961 MS65.

1950-P's generally have a good strike, but they are the only year from 1948-63 that there were no mint sets, so finding a decent toner is tough. 1953-P is very difficult to find FBL, and tough to find nicely toned coins, but it can produce some very nice colors. 1961-P is very tough to find FBL, and it is a very difficult year for finding toners. The mint in 1959 started using cellophane flatpacks for the mint sets, so there is no "mint set" toning per se in 1959-63 (of course, some people would put coins from later years in the original mint set packaging of earlier years to tone the coins up that way).

As the 6 coins I bought were all in the same sort of envelopes stored in the same surroundings it is not surprising they all have comparable toning. Probably the best images for showing the the "actual" colors of all 3 imaged coins are the 1961 images.

50ms65fbl-1Sm.jpg

50ms65fbl-2Sm.jpg

53pms65-1Sm.jpg

53pms65-2Sm.jpg

61ms65-1Sm.jpg

61ms65-2Sm.jpg

Thank you folks for all the nice comments!

Those are beautiful Franklins, but none of them would pass FBL muster at NGC.

Don't forget you are looking at images, not the coin in hand. The 1950 would FBL at NGC. The '53 is what I would call a technical FBL, in that it does meet the requirements at PCGS for getting the designation. I doubt it would FBL at NGC. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised that if you sent in all three coins to NGC one of them, probably either the '50 or '61, would get a 1 point bump.

EDITED TO ADD: Dooly, the envelopes were your basic white 2x2 envelopes.

Thank you folks for all the nice comments!

Those are beautiful Franklins, but none of them would pass FBL muster at NGC.

The 1950 would FBL at NGC.

Again, I respectfully disagree. While I do admit, they are very strong lines, I think the gash in the upper set to the left of the crack would disqualify them at NGC. Remember, PCGS only looks at the bottom set of lines, NGC looks at both.