• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1912 or 1913-S Barber Quarter

14 posts in this topic

I've had NGC and ANACS both look at this at the Long Beach show, and they said they couldn't determine if it was a 1912 or 1913 S on the spot. Perhaps an expert on this board may be able to tell from die indications (?). Appreciate opinions, would send it in for authentication if I thought it had a good chance of being the 13-S.

241209-barb_quart.jpg.c94a525ea730efc7c25c19a5d96fec50.jpg

The shape of the 2 or 3 is not as well defined as one might believe from the scan. I was hoping someone may be able to determine from other die characteristics as to which this really is. Perhaps the position of the "S"??

ANACS had the coin under a microscope and couldn't determine from the date alone.

THANKS.

If anyone has a 1912-S and/or 1913-S that they could scan and post I think that may help resolve!!!!

If it's a "no-brainer" why couldn't NGC or ANAC make a call under magnification?

THANKS!

If it's a "no-brainer" why couldn't NGC or ANAC make a call under magnification?

Good point but all I can tell you is that at my first glance/impression it was a "12" without a doubt. laugh.gif

Here's a pic I did.

jom

PS: The 12-S was unbelievably graded MS68...truely hidious...even if it was an Eliasberg specimen. shocked.gif

242000-aaa.jpg.eab0925017bb679fc128d615f37db527.jpg

Here we go, I combined the two images.

The bottom being the specimen in question. I'd still call it a 1912 since the line of the 2 extends out equal to the top loop, whereas on the 3 it stops short.

Barber.JPG

Agreed. The "drop" down portion of the "2" on the worn piece still seems to be there...I think that is what distinguished the 2 from the 3 when I first saw it.

jom

a great question which unfortunately jimbuck i cant answer

as to why ???or how ???or what???? anyone else calls it i cant answer that

YOU!!!! will have TO ask them!!!!!

i can only give you again for me what i think this coin is

and FOR ME IT IS A NO BRAINER 1912

also you might consider this i have not been doing this coin thing that long only 38 years or so and in my extremely limited scope of experience as i am really a beginning novice at this and not one of the expert professionals i find that when you take such a lower grade coin and put it under extremely high maginfication

to make a better decision about the numerials of a date of a coin this usually distorts things and makes it worse to tell!

in other words overkill on the magnification in this case with this particiular coin doesnot help but actuaLLY HURTS the attribution of the date

michael

As soon as I saw the coin I immediately thought 1912-S without hesitation. You mention that the coin looks somewhat different in the scan than in hand; this might actually be good as it might help to identify the date better. For me, the back end of the last digit drops down in a manner consistent with 2 much more than a 3. I will try to look up some diagnostics later for you.

I have to agree, its a 1912; the top knob of the "2" is not as heavy as the top knob of a "3". You had me go to my Lawrence reference book, and the pictures listed above prove it. ( My coins are in the bank vault, but would have liked to have checked this out with my own 12-S and 13-S).

Thanks for the inputs. I feel this forum is much better for the collector as your opinions are more likely to be genuine (and perhaps more knowlegable) than the dealers at the big shows. I pulled this coin out of a bag of junk silver I bought many years ago for melt value. Just wishful thinking on my part that I may have found a "goodie":

Thanks to everyone who helped me save the submittal fee on this (apparently) 1912-S Barber.