• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dippin aint easy...

21 posts in this topic

Looks alot better Mike. Just be careful as to too much dipping will take away any luster left in the coin.
Pure Acetone so I don't believe it will cause much Damage...

thumbsup2.gifPatrick

You made it look easy confused-smiley-013.gif
I spent a 1/2 hour swishing it around changing the acetone 3 or 4 times...If you take into acount the time and the acetone I am begining to think NCS is a deal .Especially if it were a more expensive Piece.

I spent a 1/2 hour swishing it around changing the acetone 3 or 4 times...If you take into acount the time and the acetone I am begining to think NCS is a deal .Especially if it were a more expensive Piece.

Oh, I didn’t know you had to swish it around. I thought maybe you just let it sit for a half hour. I don’t know anything about dipping sorry.gif

Oh, I didn’t know you had to swish it around. I thought maybe you just let it sit for a half hour. I don’t know anything about dipping sorry.gif

I think it would have still been in there if I hadn't...There was a lot of PVC.

You really need to try it.It's the only way to really learn. popcorn.gif

The acetone is good for minor problems with silver. I think a regular dip would have given results in about 5 seconds. You did a very good job with the acetone Mike, but I think it was just a tad on the long way around. Looks good tho', do not get me wrong. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe next time I see a nice coin with some PVC or something else that needs attention selling cheap. I’ll keep my eye out.

Maybe next time I see a nice coin with some PVC or something else that needs attention selling cheap. I’ll keep my eye out.

I was trying to remember and I Believe I only paid $14.00 or so for the coin..The pics are 3 different times.The begining about 10 min. of soak and swish and the last was after about 30 Give or take...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The acetone is good for minor problems with silver. I think a regular dip would have given results in about 5 seconds. You did a very good job with the acetone Mike, but I think it was just a tad on the long way around. Looks good tho', do not get me wrong. thumbsup2.gif
I am a bit afraid of the acid based dips...I have seen a lot of washed out Morgans that I don't find all that appealing.

I am a bit afraid of the acid based dips...I have seen a lot of washed out Morgans that I don't find all that appealing.

It can be a little tricky. I have used it a couple times. Mostly when I have dipped, it's for about 5 seconds. I rinse and pat dry. If it needs it again, same procedure. If it needs it again, I stop because then you can get to the point of eliminating luster from then on. I consider it a problwem then and just leave it alone and see if will will grow over with age.

At first I was confused, and then I realized you were talking about acetone. Usually when someone talks about dipping, they are talking about something different than acetone (which I think of more as conservation, I don't call that dipping.) The coin looks alot better. What I often do is wet a Qtip in the acetone and gently, very gently, use that (in the acetone) to wipe the gunk off the coin. If you don't press too hard, the Qtip doesn't leave hairlines.

Not knowing a lot about dipping and such, is there anyway to reverse the effect of a coin that has been dipped. Example being a Morgan that has that "too bright" effect from being dipped in something at some point. Or once a coin has been altered to that degree is it irreversable? I realize that the coin has already been altered and may always carry that classification, but curious about getting the original look back.

Rey

I think that dipping can always be noticed on a coin unless it sits for quite a few years maybe in a holder to start some natural toning back. I think this is where AT comes in to hide possible coin problems that may have been cleaned or dipped to try to restore the coins original surfaces. Dipping has its pros and cons in my opinion. I think that some coins need dipped if they have some type of problem that would eventually destroy the coin. Others may have small problems that don't effect it enough to justify dipping. Most of the times I think dipping is usually to the coin owners preference on what they want the coin to look like. To others, dipping just takes away originality regardless of the problem associated with it.