• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your favorite gold coin and why?

44 posts in this topic

Saint-Gaudens used a profile head of "Victory" that he had originally completed for the General William T. Sherman monument in 1905. At first with an olive wreath, Saint-Gaudens added the Indian feather headdress requested by the president. However, this headdress was unknown by any Indian tribe, nor worn by any Indian woman. Unlike Pratt's design, the bonnet was classical in style and does not authentically represent an American Indian.
Good info! Do we know if he used a model for the General William T. Sherman monument, and if so, who she was?

Patrick,

Wow, that is why I thoruoughly enjoy this hobby, there is always something to learn. I had never put two and two together regarding him being the designer of that reverse as well as the Waterloo Medal. makepoint.gif

I had read about the sovereign several times, but having very little exposure to medals and then came that Waterloo one, I should have remembered. Thank you for pointing this out. It must either be a spell or an omen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rey

OK...the only piece of gold I own is a $2.5 Lib that was turned into a "love token" and mounted as a piece of jewelery for my Great Grand-fathers' first communion (circa 1896) so I don't profess to be any "connesieur" of gold. ...my favorite design though... Saint Obverse with a $20 Lib reverse. If I had the money though I'd probably collect 18th Century $5 pieces...Leo

Patrick,

Wow, that is why I thoruoughly enjoy this hobby, there is always something to learn. I had never put two and two together regarding him being the designer of that reverse as well as the Waterloo Medal. makepoint.gif

I had read about the sovereign several times, but having very little exposure to medals and then came that Waterloo one, I should have remembered. Thank you for pointing this out. It must either be a spell or an omen. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rey

Seems like there might be something to be said about listing the designer with the coin cool.gif

Of course I like Saints, but I also like the reverse of the type 1 Liberty double eagle, and of course there is the unique 1877 Half Union pattern at the Smithsonian...

Actually there are two Half Union patterns in the Smithsonian.

I and the Red Book stand corrected!I just took it from a quick glance at the red book, but in looking at the Smithsonian site it's apparent there were two struck in gold, though they do not specifically mention that they are both in the NNC. Perhaps I'll check when I go to DC in a couple weeks.

1907HighReliefO.jpg1907HighReliefR.jpg

By a nose I'd say the 1907 High Relief $20 gold. I know the coin is actually pretty common, and that many people thing that it is vastly overpriced as a result. But it is really beautiful, and the history of the battles between an entrenched mint bureaucracy, a couple very talented artists from the private sector and a strong willed President of the United States, make the coin one of my favorites.

1795HalfEagleO.jpg1795HalfEagleR.jpg

A photo finish second is the 1795 half eagle. It was the first U.S. mint gold coin and also among the most attractive of all the early pieces IMO.

My favorites are the incuse $2.50 and $5.00. The $2.50 is on my short list of projects (unfortunately behind my modern commems right now so it might be a couple of years before I get to it). I only own modern gold, so here's my favorite that I own.

IMG_0962.jpg

(Kind of a crappy picture, I know. I need to buy a macro lens and stand for this camera)