• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your favorite gold coin and why?

44 posts in this topic

Since I collect and study gold coins, I was wondering what coin/design gold of the US is your favorite. President Roosevelt once said US coins design were atrotious and was inspired by some high relief greek coinage. Relief means its raised above the surface. So he hired augustus to design the 10 dollar indian and 20 dollar saint gaudens. Orginally, the 1907 high relief saints were struck multiple times with the die to give it an extra high relief. But since this was so hard on the die, it was discontinued and set to regular relief. I have a 1908 saint gaudens double eagle NGC MS64 and it is my favorite US gold coin.

I also have a 5 dollar indian, PCGS AU58, thats my second favorite. What is your favorite US gold coin and why?

cloud9.gif

Beautiful "Old Mint" Proof Zac thumbsup2.gif

I like this one, but then again so does Uncle Sam shy.gif

1816528-2005-30123_428px.jpg

1816528-2005-30124_428px.jpg

or this one1816528-2005-29927_105px.jpg1816528-2005-29928_428px.jpgespecially this one

1816528-2005-29995_428px.jpg

and of course this one yay.gif

1816528-2005-30143_428px.jpg

Heck i like em all grin.gif

1816528-2005-30143_428px.jpg.8891645e6286fe97a066a493cbe7f2d1.jpg

That looks like the reverse of the gold SF Commemorative coin that came out last year.

My favorite gold would have to be St. Gaudens' MCMVII high-relief double eagle (yeah, I'm so original). Second-favorite would be his eagle, even though it's an inaccurate depiction. I just think his stuff is so much more magestic than other gold coins.

However, I must say that the reverse of the liberty head (is that the name?) double eagle is also quite nice, and the design works so well in gold (I think it would look worse in silver).

I like this one, but I only like this half of it. wink.gif

2006SF5Rev.jpg

That's really nice. Where'd you get it? Who made it? National collectors mint?

The US Mint put them out last year. Here is the front:

2006SF5Obv.jpg

For US coins I prefer the Liberty Head Gold, $5, $10 and $20. Of course the St. Gaudens are beautiful coins, but for some reason I prefer the Liberty Head. For non-US I am very fond of Sovereigns because of the reverse.

Rey

IMG_0666-1.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

any pre 1915 liberty proof gold in strong cameo moreso the rarest tyep in proof in the liberty gold coins the eagles 893applaud-thumb.gif and of course any proof gold coins from the civil war era 1861-1865

also my all time fav gold coin is the three dollar gold

also classic head gold coins i like the quarter eagles better as they are much scarcer in choice au and unc.

also i love any terrotirial gold coins from colorado especially moreso if they are unc. the ultimate rare undervalued historical old coins thumbsup2.gif

I'm with Michael on quarter eagles, both Coronet and Indian if they are clean and well struck. I also like the $3 design but do not own any anymore.

Well, actually that turned out to be a very difficult question. It seems that I like them all, I guess I am just easy that way when it comes to gold coins. But after giving it much thought and debate I would have to say that the Type III reverse on the $20 Liberty tops my list. There is just something noble and profound about it to me. I would attach an image but I don't know how, sorry.

I don't know of a more beautiful coin than the ultra-high relief Saint. Why, it's almost not even a coin!

But then I suppose I have to take the practicalities of strike characteristics and die wear and such into account to make functional coins, and I would go with the Type I double eagle. The upright coronet close to the star on the obverse and the straight shield on the reverse catch my eye every time I see one. It's severe and beautiful at the same time. And it wore well. I think circulated Libs are a lot more attractive than circulated Saints or Indians. It's an all-around good, functional design.

I think that the $20 lib reverse is one of the coolest reverse designs of all time. But the $20 saint I think is overall my favorite gold design. And this '08 w/motto is my favorite coin:

100_0579.jpg

100_0580.jpg

And it is in an NGC '64 holder, and properly graded I might add...

Of course I like Saints, but I also like the reverse of the type 1 Liberty double eagle, and of course there is the unique 1877 Half Union pattern at the Smithsonian...

Of course I like Saints, but I also like the reverse of the type 1 Liberty double eagle, and of course there is the unique 1877 Half Union pattern at the Smithsonian...

Actually there are two Half Union patterns in the Smithsonian.

I really like the $10 Indian coin also.
Do we know who St. Gaudens used as a model for that coin?

Chief Thundercloud, Who served as a scout for the US Army. He also use to tour with Buffalo Bills Wild West Show.

I really like the $10 Indian coin also.
Do we know who St. Gaudens used as a model for that coin?
Chief Thundercloud, Who served as a scout for the US Army. He also use to tour with Buffalo Bills Wild West Show.
Is he the one on the $5 and $2.5 coins? The person on the $10 coin looks like a white woman wearing an Indian headdress.

quote]Is he the one on the $5 and $2.5 coins?

You are correct Chad. Not sure who is on the $10 gold.

Here you go guys juggle.gif

Saint-Gaudens used a profile head of "Victory" that he had originally completed for the General William T. Sherman monument in 1905. At first with an olive wreath, Saint-Gaudens added the Indian feather headdress requested by the president. However, this headdress was unknown by any Indian tribe, nor worn by any Indian woman. Unlike Pratt's design, the bonnet was classical in style and does not authentically represent an American Indian.

yay.gif