• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend Auctions?

92 posts in this topic

Does anybody know the status of the Legend auctions? They have not had one in a while and there is no information on their web site. I know they tried to return to ebay and were promptly booted off again. I sent an email several days ago asking if they had discontinued them, but so far have not received a replay. I bought some pretty nice coins at reasonable prices and would like to see them start-up again.

I think Legend determined they do not have the staff time available to run the internet auctions. Too bad, I enjoyed them.

From their web site:

"LEGEND INTERNET AUCTIONS

Our last auction was such a success it overwhelmed us! Due to our lack of manpower and the growing success of the sales, we will be taking a short break to retool and search for a full time auction director. We anticpate our down time to be short. We thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you at our next sale."

I hope to see their auctions come back. I picked up some nice material at good prices and was impressed with their professionalism in running the auction. The pricing data along with the auction lot description was very valuable and saved me a lot of time. Their shipping of lots was very prompt.

When I look back at some of the coins I bid on but didn't win I should have bid higher. I bought three and they were all winners.

Legends Auctions was apparently making sooo much $$$$ they had to close down. It makes too much sense to hire additional staff to operate such a money making machine. Very similar to Donald Trump closing his real estate empire to count his money ! Money Talks, Nobody (BS) Walks---Krass Bros.

Legends Auctions was apparently making sooo much $$$$ they had to close down. It makes too much sense to hire additional staff to operate such a money making machine. Very similar to Donald Trump closing his real estate empire to count his money ! Money Talks, Nobody (BS) Walks---Krass Bros.

sign-funnypost.gif

Al least she can swittch back to her "don't buy coins at auction" sales pitch again.

Basicly when they got back on eBay, they dropped their auctions.

But when eBay dropped them, will they get back to their auctions?

I would like to see Legend continue with their own web site auctions. They did have a problem in previous auctions by too high starting bids, and too high reserves.

On one coin I recently won from Stack's auctions, the earlier Legend auction starting price for the unsold piece was $250 more than I paid at Stack's. No question this was the exact coin. I see little use in allowing consignors to place unreasonably high reserves on their lots. It only discourages people like me, and I spend a lot of money on auction coins.

I guess I'm just a minor league player in this game. But I would think a big player like Legends would have an eBay auction only to drive business to their own auctions. You have a brand use it, invest in it, don't dilute it. come up with something else, like "Legends in the making" for an eBay priced to wet appetite item. And how stupid to get kicked off in the first place, who cares if they want to know your ex-lover's maiden name. It's a business!!! you don't make the rules, you hire a few lawyers to find loop-holes.

If Legends is really as big a player as she claims, I can see where the TPGs are supply chain competition. Legends starting their own TPG, is like Ford starting a chain of gas stations. They're stuck responding to supply chain happenings same as GM.

You wanna hurt PCGS, start selling their moderns cheaper than NGC. If someone asks, say you just don't expect them to retain the value they once did.

You wanna hurt PCGS, start selling their moderns cheaper than NGC. If someone asks, say you just don't expect them to retain the value they once did.

Have you checked the prices of PCGS vs. NGC moderns lately? The gap has narrowed significantly! I was very surprised to see how much it has narrowed. I'm sure this is partly due to PCGS loosening up their modern grading a little too much as well as the Registry fever dying out.

Part of Legends Auctions demise was IMO that they were merely masquerading as a WANNABE auction firm, and they were really trying to retail their unwanted inventory at even more inflated prices by starting the "bidding" at retail prices. You can't fool all the people all the time--P.T.Barnum

Laura said to thank anyone for their interest in their online auctions. She said that they have not found the right experienced person to run the auctions yet. She also said that she didn't think the auctions would resume before the ANA show.

Why don't you tell Laura to come join the NGC forum. Might be interesting to have her posting here - would almost certainly liven things up a bit. smile.gif

Why don't you tell Laura to come join the NGC forum. Might be interesting to have her posting here - would almost certainly liven things up a bit. smile.gif

I would like to see Laura join us. She would certainly liven thing up.

PLEASE NO!!!

That woman is foul mouthed and mean-spirited devil.gif She brings nothing to the table when it comes to providing numismatic knowledge on a forum like this. What she does bring is a lot of self-serving rhetoric about how she and a few of her dealer cronies are honest and knowledgeable and how anyone who is not part of her clique are “wannabes.” Of all the people who were banned from the PCGS forum, she was only one I thought deserved it.

PLEASE NO!!!

That woman is foul mouthed and mean-spirited devil.gif She brings nothing to the table when it comes to providing numismatic knowledge on a forum like this. What she does bring is a lot of self-serving rhetoric about how she and a few of her dealer cronies are honest and knowledgeable and how anyone who is not part of her clique are “wannabes.” Of all the people who were banned from the PCGS forum, she was only one I thought deserved it.

CMon Bill.....Its justa girl

poke2.gif

Interesting, I'm pretty new, so I didn't know there was ever a big price difference. With the few coins I own, I don't see a difference. I actually have almost the opposite mentality when it comes to PCGS.

I'm cautious about buying PCGS modern coins, I feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman, the high sticker price on the window, the hype, all that stuff. I don't get that same feeling from NGC dealers, which is why I'm here. I've never dealt directly with PCGS, and I haven't had any problem with PCGS coins or dealers, just that my "guard" is up.

Interesting, I'm pretty new, so I didn't know there was ever a big price difference. With the few coins I own, I don't see a difference. I actually have almost the opposite mentality when it comes to PCGS.

I'm cautious about buying PCGS modern coins, I feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman, the high sticker price on the window, the hype, all that stuff. I don't get that same feeling from NGC dealers, which is why I'm here. I've never dealt directly with PCGS, and I haven't had any problem with PCGS coins or dealers, just that my "guard" is up.

Do you really see many dealers that are solely "PCGS dealers" or "NGC dealers"? I know of very few that deal exclusively with one and not the other.

Do you really see many dealers that are solely "PCGS dealers" or "NGC dealers"? I know of very few that deal exclusively with one and not the other.

Very few? I can only think of one: David Hall Rare Coins.

I thought David Lawrence used to be PCGS only, but now has both. Perhaps I'm confusing him with another dealer.

No other dealer comes to mind as PCGS or NGC only. Any dealer that only deals in one grading service should be avoided. They clearly don't have the best interests of the client in mind and probably can only read inserts, not tell about the quality of the coin.

Very few? I can only think of one: David Hall Rare Coins.

I thought David Lawrence used to be PCGS only, but now has both. Perhaps I'm confusing him with another dealer.

No other dealer comes to mind as PCGS or NGC only. Any dealer that only deals in one grading service should be avoided. They clearly don't have the best interests of the client in mind and probably can only read inserts, not tell about the quality of the coin.

Bingo! I can see why Hall would drink his own Kool-Aid, he has a vested interest in it. I would avoid a dealer like the plague that only buys/sells one or the other too, as I would guess they are only buying the plastic regardless of how the coin looks.

PLEASE NO!!!

CMon Bill.....Its justa girl

poke2.gif

OK, in addition to the fact that her company informed me that I could not afford a coin that I asked to see at the Baltimore coin show. (The coin was 1794 half dime in AU, and I already own an example, so how come I can't afford theirs without a look at my bank balance or my collection?), the last time I had a chance to hear from this "lady" the conversation went like this:

"I was the under bidder on a lot of lots in their f***ing auction and f*** that! I don't get no F***ing respect!" (Join the club! I've not only been an under bidder and didn’t get a “thanks for bidding,” card; your people told me I can't afford to buy your coins! Talk about not getting any respect!)

I used to look at the Russell Simons Def Comedy Jam on HBO, so I am quite used to the f*** bomb. It's just that when it's every other word, one says, "Enough already!"

AND no we don't the Laura babe around here. poke2.gif

Perhaps I'm confusing him with another dealer.

Whitlow went PCGS only... not sure if he still is. RCW seems to be NGC only these days - at least in their ads they are.

your people told me I can't afford to buy your coins!

Whaaaaaa! You're just as bad as she is... you've been presented with a very logical explanation based on common industry practice, yet you continue to go out of your way to denigrate Legend at every opportunity. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Whitlow went PCGS only... not sure if he still is. RCW seems to be NGC only these days.

Yep, that's who I was thinking of. They claim to be both PCGS & NGC and do have the rare NGC coin in inventory (more 1913 V 5c were struck than NGC coins in his inventory), but they are really PCGS only.