• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For all those who served so that we may be free.................

32 posts in this topic

I bestow upon you "The Order of the Soup Ladle"

1815054-IMG_1583.JPG

This was my grandfather's soup ladle from World War I. Back then it was common for the cooks to provide their own utensils for the job.

Chris

1815054-IMG_1583.JPG.69de14bdf443f214db544ac2d7f9241d.JPG

At first I thought it might be the laddle from the "Soup Nazi" on Sienfeld, but that is a fine piece of memorbilia from your Grandfather's era during WWI.

On behalf of all Veterans, I accept your gracious award. 893applaud-thumb.gif

soupNazi.jpg

Looks the same?

Shucks Chris , you served your country , so Thank-You back !

My grand dad showed me some neat stuff his German POWs made for him as xmas gifts ....I do not have a pic , but they took unfired bullets out of the cartridges , then after dumping out the powder , put them back on and pounded the bullets into "scimitar" looking blades to make little miniature knives .

I was about five years old , so I never asked why he or who gave the WW I POWs live bullets to make this thing , but apparently they must have been bored in between campaigns .

I didn't know that cooks brought their own serving utensils to WW I . Pretty neat and in great shape ! I'm sure you probably remember caring around a c-ration spoon in your utility pocket, eh? At least tell me you still have your "P-38" thumb-wrecker ?

rations.jpg

For those who don't know what a P-38 is (not the WWII fighter plane) its the GI can opener...undestructable, I still have mine in the tackle box. To this day, I still cannot swallow Spam. Even the smell makes me gag...lol

Shucks Chris , you served your country , so Thank-You back !

My grand dad showed me some neat stuff his German POWs made for him as xmas gifts ....I do not have a pic , but they took unfired bullets out of the cartridges , then after dumping out the powder , put them back on and pounded the bullets into "scimitar" looking blades to make little miniature knives .

I was about five years old , so I never asked why he or who gave the WW I POWs live bullets to make this thing , but apparently they must have been bored in between campaigns .

I didn't know that cooks brought their own serving utensils to WW I . Pretty neat and in great shape ! I'm sure you probably remember caring around a c-ration spoon in your utility pocket, eh? At least tell me you still have your "P-38" thumb-wrecker ?

I was in 69-71 but I never left the States.

Here's an interesting tidbit. In the late 50's, my parents built our first summer home in Ocean City, MD. During the winter months, we would always make it a point to go there right after a big storm along the coast. You never knew what the storm might dump on the beach. We were hunting along a deserted stretch of beach just south of our house when I came across a wooden crate that was dated 1943. It was a whole case of Army rations. I can't recall if they were "C" or "K", but we opened some of the cans and there were thick crackers (hardtack?), jam, spam and chocolate bars. All of it was still good and we ate it. I always wondered if it came from a supply ship that was sunk by a German U-Boat.

Chris

PS. Since I never left the States, I never had to use one of those openers. We ate in the Mess Hall all the time. Spam tastes okay if you burn it real good and then let it dry out.

military.jpg

I didn't have one like yours rrantiques, a "Rebel Without a Cause" look...more like Mid-west "What Did I Get Myself Into" baby face look.

I truly feel blessed to live in such a great country. Thanks to all of you who served, may you have a happy and safe Memorial Day.

Aviation Ordnanceman Senior Chief, Air Warfare (Retired) Proud to serve and thanks to all who've served and still are serving. "God Speed" thumbsup2.gif

Img23047B.jpg

Img18130.jpg

Img18131.jpg

Img18133.jpg

jeffersoncommemobv.jpg

flag004.jpg

Getting ready to display the US Flag

This particular flag was once owned by my Father. He flew it proudly every Memorial Day until his death. This particular flag once flew over the White House (raised then lowered, but still proudly flew) on or about September of 1959. It was one of the first Official Government flags with all 50 stars and was sent on request used to be used to commemorate the official opening of the new Post Office in my home town. A few years later upon its repalcement, it was presented to my Dad, a WWII Veteran postal employee.

48 years later, it will once again fly with freedom on Memorial Day.

Note: I have no idea if President Dwight D. Eisenhower was home at the time it briefly flew.

1816373-cemetery5.jpg

"Your silent tents of green

We deck with fragrant flowers;

Yours has the suffering been,

The memory shall be ours."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

1816373-cemetery5.jpg.734ca699bf949410205d7310e9057280.jpg

My thanks to all the men and women who have been and are in the service of our country. Your efforts help keep this nation the land of the free and the home of the brave. May everyone be safe this Memorial Day, both here and abroad.

Here's one for everyone, especially those that served aboard the USS South Dakota:

USS-SD_1942_USS-South-Dakota-Battleship-X-Relic-Medal_600x300.jpg

Chris: That ladle looks like the one that the cooks used for S.O.S. when I was in the 4th Infantry Division of the Army.

Chris: That ladle looks like the one that the cooks used for S.O.S. when I was in the 4th Infantry Division of the Army.

Okay, I give up. I haven't a clue what "S.O.S." means.

Chris

Okay, I give up. I haven't a clue what "S.O.S." means.

Chris

sos.jpg

Your going to have to use your imagination with the phrasing of S.O.S.

"Ca-Ca" On a Shingle (substitute another word for ca-ca)

SOS is ground up meat (sometimes mystery meat) in a gravy served over a slice (shingle) of bread. Served mostly at breakfast and to the graveyard shifters, but good anytime of the day. Make sure you have access to salt and pepper shakers when consuming SOS.

Remember it well WJ, and heavy on the salt and pepper grin.gif

Did you forget the rumored special ingredient in this meal?? Saltpeter 27_laughing.gif

Did you forget the rumored special ingredient in this meal?? Saltpeter 27_laughing.gif

You guys must have been in the service sometime after me. The only thing I can remember is that breakfast would make you throw up, but if it didn't, you had best go out and run 5 miles to make it happen.

Chris

You guys must have been in the service sometime after me. The only thing I can remember is that breakfast would make you throw up, but if it didn't, you had best go out and run 5 miles to make it happen.

Chris

I was in same time you were Chris, run 5 miles then, low crawl up Porkchop Hill. 27_laughing.gif

Retired from the Army in 1996. Here I am back in 1975 (with the guidon). I weighed 107 pounds. My gear weighed 112. Man, has that changed!!!

Ranger6-75.jpg

I was in Wildflecken (near the Fulda Gap) in 1962 before we went into Berlin to guard the wall. We (the 8th Inf, 4th Inf Div) sat up there overlooking the gap accompanied by the the 1st Armored Cav. watching the Russian tanks watch us.

Army.jpg

Me in Basic Training

Americal Division Delta Company 4/31st 196th LIB Vietnam 1969-70 Thanks for remembering and lets not forget those who serve and protect us today. Third generation, Gramps in WWI and mom and dad WWII.