• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May have another fake which may need to be reported

9 posts in this topic

It actually looks ok to me dooly. The counterfiets, from what I've seen, will show significant loss of detail in the low points such as the lines under the wheat and in the gown between the knee and seat of the Obv.. I may be wrong, there are some on here that are pretty sharp with these trade dollar fakes. Someone else may have better input to add.

I'll tell ya what, I've bought one trade dollar and it was counterfiet. This one looks better than the one I bought. I will never bid on another unless ya'll look at it first cause I'll tell ya what, I still can't spot them very good! hail.gif

Looking at both images in the auction, nothing jumps out and proclaims I was made outside the US Mint, but it also does not say I'm a genuine 1874-S Trade Dollar either.

The dentils are a bit "mushy" on parts of the rim on both sides and some of the design elements are soft in some areas. This could just be a weak strike or late state die...perhaps TradeDollarNut will respond.

For now with this one, it's simply going to have to be buyer beware...it could go either way.

That is a counterfeit - I'd bet a months pay on it. The area I've circled is a protected area of the design and one of the last places to wear, and I've never seen that area weakly struck on a genuine Trade Dollar. However, that is a common marker for counterfeits. Here is the ebay coin and a genuine VF25 for comparison.

56856755.jpg

79401329.jpg