• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filling Dansco Commemorative Holes on a Budget

27 posts in this topic

I rarely post my new purchases as a separate thread but here are a couple of neat affordable commemoratives that folks and particularly folks on a budget like myself may want to consider. The first is a heavily patinated problem free Columbian half-dollar graded by the seller as EF-45. For those who appreciate original coins, this piece has great eye appeal. For reference this coin cost me $11.

The second coin is a heavily patinated problem free Stone Mountain commemorative half-dollar. This coin was also graded EF-45 and has excellent eye appeal to the original surfaces enthusiast. This coin cost me $54 dollars which is actually a little on the high side for circulated Stone Mountains. One can frequently find these coins for $35-$45 dollars with little trouble. Finding a nice original crusty coin like this takes a little more time, patience, and a few extra dollars.

In total, and I am including shipping and insurance in that, these purchases cost me $71. Filling two dansco commemorative holes with coins such as these for under $75 is a great way to stay in the hobby without having to tighten one’s belt.

BTW – These are the sellers images so don’t congratulate me on the images wink.gif.

Columbian.JPG

StoneM.JPG

Nice pick-ups Winston. thumbsup2.gif I didn't kmow the Stone Mountains were that accessible at a feasible price. Of course, I'm waiting to be able to afford a Texas Comm.

Those two examples have what I call "character" to them...a blast white commemorative in MS-65 is fine, but for me, give me some original handled skinned coins like those and a smile will soon appear.

Not a thing wrong with those my friend.

Collect on!

That green around the rim on the stone mtn's obverse caught my eye. Maybe nothing, I dunno - it's not PVC is it?

I see what you are saying Michael but it’s just the image. In hand I can rotate the coin under the light and I can’t find any green – just brown. Somehow the image made that area appear green.

Columbian is a steal ... Any Columbian with the LINES visable on the rear SAIL is a goodie to me - Nice Pick up thumbsup2.gif

Just goes to show that nice coins can be bought on a budget! Great coins, I love the crust factor, and I would choose these coins over most dipped-out MS examples I see! Thanks for sharing...Mike

Here are my current four:

$12

1892%20Columbian%2050c%20Obv.jpg1892%20Columbian%2050c%20Rev.jpg

$50

1920%20Pilgrim%2050c%20Obv.jpg1920%20Pilgrim%2050c%20Rev.jpg

$45 (A bit darker than in the image)

1925%20Stone%20Mountain%2050c%20Obv.jpg1925%20Stone%20Mountain%2050c%20Rev.jpg

$70 (I need to re-image this one. blush.gif )

1925%20Lexington%2050c%20Obv.jpg1925%20Lexington%2050c%20Rev.jpg

Winston,

Nice looking coins! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif I particularly like how the Stone Mtn. looks. Very attractive.

Zach,

Those are nice looking Commems. Good going! thumbsup2.gif

Here are my current four:

Are you trying to steal my thunder!? I should have just bought that Lexington and not told you about it wink.gif

wow...very nice everyone!! My only current commem in my 7070 is the 1954-S Booker T Washington/George Washington Carver. It probably comes in at around MS62 and I paid $12 for it.

wow...very nice everyone!! My only current commem in my 7070 is the 1954-S Booker T Washington/George Washington Carver. It probably comes in at around MS62 and I paid $12 for it.

Yes, those are also great choices of nice original early commems that can be had on a budget. I should have mentioned those – good call thumbsup2.gif.

I think that the Columbian half dollar is an ideal piece to fill one of the holes in the Dansco type album. It was the first commemorative half dollar, and the world’s fair at which it was issued has an interesting history. I have a DVD documentary about the Columbian Exposition that is really informative.

For the second slot, I’d consider finding a Washington-Carver half dollar. You should be able to find one of those raw at fairly low price. The Washington-Carver was the last of the “old” commemorative half dollars, and it too has an interesting history. The McCarty era was in full swing when design proposals were being made. One early proposal would have had the legends on the reverse of the coin read in effect that “funds from the sale of these coins will be used to fight the spread of Communism among American Negroes.” The state department put the kibosh on that one, claiming that such language on an American coin would offend the Soviet Union.