• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1866 NO MOTTO Dollar

11 posts in this topic

The only known specimen of this famous rarity is available in public auction for the first time in 31 years. Check out the lot in the upcoming ANR auction in Beverly Hills (pre-LB): FANTASTIC RARITY.

It is too bad what happened to the du Pont specimen (not to mention to his family!)...

EVP

Perhaps a dealer will buy the du Pont specimen over the counter for $50 or so, wasn't how one of the few coins recovered from that theft was eventually obtained?

As for the ANR site, I simply love the ability to put the mouse over a section of the coin and see it magnafied. That is really convenient.

Will you inspect this coin in person?

I will not be able to inspect the coin in person, but I am hoping that ANR will be willing to take copious die diagnostic notes as well as huge macro shots for research purposes.

EVP

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Here's what I wrote for a press release NGC put out in 1997:

One of the greatest rarities in American numismatics was recently certified and encapsulated by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation. Only two examples are known of the 1866 Seated Liberty silver dollar without the motto IN GOD WE TRUST, and the specimen just certified by NGC was graded Proof-63. Pedigreed to the fabulous Virgil Brand Collection, this important coin received much publicity during the 1970s, when it was publicly displayed by its then owner New England Rare Coin Galleries at a number of coin shows. This coin has been off the market since being placed in a private collection shortly thereafter.

Just two examples are believed to have been struck of the 1866 silver dollar without motto (all other silver dollars dated 1866 bear the national motto). Close examination of the die characteristics suggests that both were produced circa 1867-68 from antedated dies. Numismatists have speculated that these coins were created for the collection of Mint Director Henry R. Linderman, who was known to crave patterns and other delicacies not available to the coin collecting community at large.

In his book Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia, author Q. David Bowers provided a complete pedigree for the specimen recently certified by NGC. Among the illustrious names associated with this coin are Stephen Nagy, Samuel and Henry Chapman and Virgil Brand, who owned it from 1899 until his death in 1926. It then passed from his estate to several private collections and, during the 1970s, a succession of dealers, before being acquired by a collector in Texas.

The only other example of this rare issue was owned by the famed du Pont Family when it was stolen during an armed robbery at their Florida estate in 1967. Though several other du Pont coins were recovered in later years, the 1866 silver dollar without motto has never resurfaced, leaving the specimen certified by NGC as Proof-63 the only example seen during the past 30 years.

I wonder, do you think that illicit patterns, if produced today would be worth that much in a hundred years? Things like a 1964 Peace dollar come to mind, but what about a 1999 quarter using the old design? Or a 99 SBA on a Sac planchet? Or vice versa? There are so many things that can be done today, but given the mules produced a few years ago, I doubt these things would stay private, or be allowed to exist in the public market like they were in the 19th century.

As I wrote across the street, the 1866 No Motto silver dollar does not do much for me. It's a mule that was struck at a time when the ethics at the U.S. mint among the top officials was at a very low ebb.

To me it's in the same class as the 1913 Liberty nickels and the 1804 restrike dollars. It was just made to sell at at price.

This unique coin, ( the other coin stolen at gun-point from the DuPont family) is Smithsonian quality. It should be bid on by Bill Gates, and sent to the ANA, in Colorado; he needs a tax write off. This makes the 1804's and 1913 V's insignificant by measure.

Does anyone know for sure if this coin was a Novadel, from the 1870's ???

Bill,

re:. It's a mule that was struck at a time when the ethics at the U.S. mint among the top officials was at a very low ebb.

To me it's in the same class as the 1913 Liberty nickels and the 1804 restrike dollars. It was just made to sell at at price.

You wrote a like statement awhile back that struck a true chord with me. I now fully agree with you. Although I would never turn down such a coin, it still borders on counterfeit. They are but fantasy coins struck mainly for profit and are not true US issue.

Thanks for voicing your opinion.