• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chain cent, Wreath cent, or Liberty Cap cent.

22 posts in this topic

Which 1793 cent is your favorite? Say you could have a nice MS64 coin of one type. I guess I would choose the Chain cent,

but wouldn't it be great to have one of each?

The Chain cent without a doubt. It's got so much more history to it than the others and I love the simple design. I've wanted one for a LONG time. Finding them with a nice smooth planchet is nearly impossible and when you do if it is a F coin they want VF money, or a VF coin they want XF money.

I used to post trivia questions here. It's been a while, so I'll do one now:

For the chain cent, that design sparked a controversy. What was the controversy?

Prize: pride of knowledge!

EVP

I think the general public saw the Chain design as a sign of the bonds of enslavement instead of the intended meaning which was to have the 13 links of chain represent the strength of unity.

As Greg has already pointed out, the Chain Cent is probably the most difficult to find with a smooth, high quality planchet. However, unlike Greg, I have not even been able to find such pieces, let alone finding them and being offered them at one grade higher.

I agree that the Chain Cent is the most desireable of the three 1793 types, but it is not the most difficult to find in high grade. That honor goes to the Liberty Cap cents which are FAR and AWAY much harder to find nice. They are also much scarcer than the Chain cent.

I'd like to point out that there are 15 links in the Chain Cent reverse, not 13.

Oops, that was me that said 13 links. mdwoods

I have never seen an unc. 93 Liberty cap.

Stellar:

You're a member, and for a while now!!! Welcome. Love your coins! (I met you briefly once a couple of years ago; I won't expect you to remember me, but I was with a friend and we were drooling over your display.)

EVP

I'd like to point out that there are 15 links in the Chain Cent reverse, not 13.

Oops, that was me that said 13 links. mdwoods

I have never seen an unc. 93 Liberty cap.

You're not alone. PCGS has only graded two MS Liberty Cap cents, and 33 others, while NGC has only graded six of them, none in MS.

chain.JPGchain2.jpg

I wanted one for a LONG time. I got this one late last year for 3k!!!!!! I had dealers and Woody drooling over it at Baltimore in March.

Not very high grade (G6) but has a nice planchet.

I also have a wreath in an NCS holder that I got for free for selling some stuff for a friend.

A nice, problem-free Chain Cent would be my choice. I am putting together a large cent date set and am still missing nine dates, of which 1793 is one. I may have to settle for a Wreath but I would really like to have a Chain.

291fifth, I've been going to a lot of coin shows and auctions. If I see a nice chain cent, I will let you know about it. Choice Chain cents are few and far between as you already well know. I don't have but a couple low grade raw large cents anymore, but I know what to look for.

Yes, this is definitely a "PQ" G-6 Chain Cent. I think the reason that it did not get a higher grade is that the date is barely readable. It's hard to give a coin a higher grade that Good when you can only read the 3.

Still this coin is a great find for the money and well worth the pirce paid. I would sooner have this coin that some of the pitted and damaged pieces that I have seen in Fine and VF holders.

Unless you want to go without a Chain Cent like that one for a long time and really need to make a $1,000 profit I'd pass on that offer as a collector. Finding nice smooth, brown Chain cents is very hard, and the prices run well over Grey Sheet and "Trends" levels. Bargain hunting collectors do not own nice Chain Cents unless they check the obits and rip-off the widows of coin collectors. goodevil.gif

These coins are very popular, and they bring strong money.