• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local Show Purchase

13 posts in this topic

OK, this weekend was the Plano Coin Show, held once a year in Richardson, Texas (don't ask), and yesterday afternoon, went out to take a look at what was available. Took my new FH Half to show to a couple of dealer friends, who liked it and tried hard to pry it out of my hands.

Show itself was dead, with little buying or selling going on, especially to the public, and even more so, in the dealer to dealer area. Just not enough material worth pulling out of a case and wanting to take it with you. One or two select dealers had picked up some really nice stuff at other shows in the last few weeks, but this show never seems to be a good place for the material to sell.

I did find one coin I liked, and grabbed it. A 1952 Washington-Carver half. Obverse is attached here.

240536-1952_WC_Obv.JPG

240536-1952_WC_Obv.JPG.d24de77e2df1b65039ae944cf2dc9a6e.JPG

Here's the reverse.

Would like some grade opinions from commem guys. The coin was bought slabbed, but I felt that the color got the coin a gift point or two on the grade side of the equation. One of the prettiest WC's I've seen in a while.

240538-1952_WC_Rev.JPG

240538-1952_WC_Rev.JPG.721dea2cd05b5c252a12868e7f9c318b.JPG

I learned many years ago, one of the greatest compliments I can give a coin owner about his new acquisition is to say "how much do you want for it?".

Keith,

How much do you want for it?

TRUTH

To me the coin looks like an average (marks wise) MS65. Unusually clean face and head, but with the typical hits in the vast open space on the reverse.

I think the color is very nice - especially the obverse.

The 1952 GWC can be found with nice color. It's the only coin in my set that I have upgraded more than once. Each time I find a better and better one.

Mark,

One of the other guys would be much more qualified to answer your question, but a lot of it has to do with the way the coins were issued. A certain commem might have been issued in an envelope or with some kind of backing that had chemicals in it that reacted to the silver surface.

Certain commems have a certain toned 'look' which is telltale sign to originality. Commems prior to 1935 will have a more russet and brown tone, since storage of these coins were mainly in 2X2 envelopes with heavy sulfer content. This is why many sesquis, huguenots, vermonts, come with russet, brown or puke green colors. When the 1935 era rolled around, Denisson, Whayte Raymond, etc, began manufacturing holders specifically meant to house commems. Commems such as Elgin, Long Island, Lynchburg, etc, have wonderful rainbow colors, as well as rim tone and tab toning. As the 1940's rolled around, less sulpher was used in the processing of paper, so the colors of toned coins changed. However, the W/C commems were issued in such high quantities, that you will see a miriad of colors due the the innumerable amounts of storage papers that were used.

TRUTH

Thanks for the informative answers guys. I've always wondered about that. I hear people say this or that issue is seldom seen with nice color, or is often seen with nice color. Now I understand

better why this is so.

Mike,

Best local show is the TNA, which is held in Ft Worth once a year. We get a show over in Grapevine four or five times a year, slightly better, and a few in Ft Worth or Arlington each year. You see most of the same dealers at each of the shows, and the new inventory gets sold rapidly, leaving the same stuff that you see at every show.

Keith,

Are you ever going to tell us about the spy story at Heritage? You know, where the dealers at the last auction viewing said you were a forum spy?

TRUTH

Keith - Cool coin! cool.gif That's the way I'd want one of those to look if I were to purchase one.

truth - The explanation you gave on toning was so good I copied it and filed it away for future reference!

Hoot