• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will you be on-board for the 2008 American Bald Eagle Recovery coin ...

11 posts in this topic

program ? Proposed design were featured on the front page of June 4th CoinWorld wherein a 6 coin set would be offered. A copper-nickel half dollar in Unc and PF, a Silver Dollar Unc and PF and a $5 gold coin also Unc and PF. It seems quite ironic that that a $5 gold coin is referred to as a "half eagle" ! I, for one, will pass on this program. If most collectors do not purchase it, it will be a certain "winner" with very low mintages. Prices not available at publication.

Are part of the proceeds being donated to a bald eagle support organization? Do some (most?) modern commems have an organization they donate proceeds to?

Do some (most?) modern commems have an organization they donate proceeds to?

All do I believe - at least those from recent memory do.

I haven't seen the proposed design. But it sounds like a great idea for a commem to me.

A clad commem seems a bit of a waste, where did that come from? Was there a rationale behind that, or just a price point thing, now with silver being so expensive.

I haven't seen the proposed design. But it sounds like a great idea for a commem to me.

A clad commem seems a bit of a waste, where did that come from? Was there a rationale behind that, or just a price point thing, now with silver being so expensive.

Clad has been the normal for most modern comm. half dollars.

When was the last commem 1/2 dollar? I just figured they were all either silver or gold.

Opened my eyes to a whole new modern collectible....I'm off to eBay!!

When was the last commem 1/2 dollar? I just figured they were all either silver or gold.

I don't have the Red Book with me, but the last one I have is the First Flight half-dollar.

I don't have the Red Book with me, but the last one I have is the First Flight half-dollar.
That 2003 coin is probably the last one. Check out this US Mint webpage.

Phheewwww, back from eBay. Looks like most of these aren't slabbed, so I can get some OMP, without worrying a lot about why or recycled OMP. Is that right?

Modern commemorative half dollars were issued as follows:

1982 George Washington (silver)

1986 Statue of Liberty (copper nickel)

1989 Congress Bicentennial (copper nickel)

1991 Mount Rushmore (copper nickel)

1992 XXV Olympiad (copper nickel)

1992 Columbus Quincentenary (copper nickel)

1993 Bill of Rights (silver)

1991-1995 (1993) World War II 50th Anniversary (copper nickel)

1994 World Cup (copper nickel)

1995 Civil War (copper nickel)

1995 Olympic Basketball (copper nickel)

1995 Olympic Baseball (copper nickel)

1995 Olympic Swimming (copper nickel)

1995 Olympic Soccer (copper nickel)

2001 Capitol Visitor Center (copper nickel)

2003 First Flight Centennial (copper nickel)

I'm in, if I can get the uncirculated dollar and half dollar as a set, or separately. If it's a six coin set only, I'm out. smile.gif