• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these slabs getting a little silly or is a USA thing ?

46 posts in this topic

In a way, I would have taken this as an insult. My step-dad collects coins also, and he also likes to purchase those painted coins with elvis and all. I don't down-grade him for it. To each thier own. It wouldn't surprise me if most of us own at least one coin that really has no numismatic value due to it being decorated or something like that. Not everyone aims thier goal to collecting to making a profit. My collection involves coins that I want. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I just really think that when someone else downgrades another person's collection just because it's not something that they are interested in, that it's disrespectful. MHO

He'd probably be offended by it, but he can take his medicine. Much of his collecting focus, remembering our discussions, was on value. So if he got sucked in buying something of low value, probably paid triple what it was worth, I think he would be disappointed himself. I don't apologize to him for being stunned that he did that, any more than he apologized to me any time he told me he thought I was doing something dumb (which he felt at complete liberty to do).

This does bring up a cultural point about coin collecting that I've noticed here, though. I have never been bothered if someone called one of my coins ugly, but I sense that on this forum it's a major faux pas, and that this is representative of the hobby. Is this true? When people post coin pics here, is approval or silence the only socially allowable reaction? I'm not putting that trend down if it's true, just seeking to have a better knowledge of how other collectors feel and realizing they may be very different from me. The only time I said something disapproving of a coin pic (I called an ugly coin ugly, basically), I remember a reaction of shock, so I never did it again. One should respect the conventions where one goes.

It is not a faux pas to point out problems with coins when done in a constructive manner. In fact, I find those posts more helpful than congratulatory posts (although those posts are always nice as well).

I don’t recall the thread in which you called a coin ugly. The one item that comes to mind is that there is a divergence of taste here and a coin that may be “ugly” to one person does not make it a problem coin. These are two separate issues. Perhaps there was some confusion 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

People are much nicer here than ATS but people will still generally post strong feelings about certain coins. I think people here state their dislike and leave it like that, rather than proactively attacking other people's interests. So I think disapproval does get stated here, it's just not pushed after it's stated.

Fair enough. And I definitely agree that there's no need to go about deliberately attacking someone's interests; that's obnoxious. That's why I never post concerning modern anything. It doesn't interest me, but if it floats someone else's boat, no problem.

As it was, the gold Ike issue came up because I ended up owning them, and wondering what could possess my father-in-law to buy them. It made me wonder if he got taken for a ride on other coins, and it signalled to me that I needed to grade them with a critical eye. All this, of course, must necessarily pale before my gratitude to him for passing them on to his daughter. I can think of him as making inexplicable numismatic decisions while still respecting him as a man and appreciating the good decisions and his good qualities in life.

I don’t recall the thread in which you called a coin ugly. The one item that comes to mind is that there is a divergence of taste here and a coin that may be “ugly” to one person does not make it a problem coin. These are two separate issues. Perhaps there was some confusion 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It was a while back, before I got the strong sense that it was a bad idea; I didn't repeat the mistake. When you come to a new forum, you adapt to it rather than expecting it to adapt to you, so I made sure that I phrased things with some sensitivity thereafter.

Myself, if people think a coin of mine is just flat ugly, to me that's extremely helpful because eye appeal is a significant grading factor. MS grades depend significantly upon it. But that's just me.

It was a while back, before I got the strong sense that it was a bad idea; I didn't repeat the mistake. When you come to a new forum, you adapt to it rather than expecting it to adapt to you, so I made sure that I phrased things with some sensitivity thereafter.

Myself, if people think a coin of mine is just flat ugly, to me that's extremely helpful because eye appeal is a significant grading factor. MS grades depend significantly upon it. But that's just me.

Eye appeal is important – agreed. Perhaps I should have explained my position better. Some folks like blast white coins, some like old coins that have been dipped and have secondary toning, some like gunky crusty coins, etc… I was attempting to say that I would think it rude to go outside of one’s niche area to belittle a coin not because it’s a problem coin but because they find it unattractive. To me personally, I find old silver coins that are white unattractive and silly looking. However, if it’s not a problem coin then it’s just my collecting preferences that I shouldn’t attempt to push on others. I hope that made more sense 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Eye appeal is important – agreed. Perhaps I should have explained my position better. Some folks like blast white coins, some like old coins that have been dipped and have secondary toning, some like gunky crusty coins, etc… I was attempting to say that I would think it rude to go outside of one’s niche area to belittle a coin not because it’s a problem coin but because they find it unattractive. To me personally, I find old silver coins that are white unattractive and silly looking. However, if it’s not a problem coin then it’s just my collecting preferences that I shouldn’t attempt to push on others. I hope that made more sense 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I see what you mean. It's like me with toning: it doesn't appeal to me, but a lot of people think it's hot stuff, so I can't see a reason to rain on their parade.

I see what you mean. It's like me with toning: it doesn't appeal to me, but a lot of people think it's hot stuff, so I can't see a reason to rain on their parade.
People have discussed their preference for toned coins over white coins as well as preference for white coins here. The threads might be less memorable because people are generally pretty congenial here. Discussion of the pros and cons of toners does get much more heated ATS, even with strong posts against the premiums paid for NT and what people think is NT. Criticizing collecting preference (generally moderns and toners) seems to be more prevalent, vocal and persistent ATS than here, just a difference in the tone of the boards. People here seem to prefer the more congenial atmosphere.

People have discussed their preference for toned coins over white coins as well as preference for white coins here. The threads might be less memorable because people are generally pretty congenial here. Discussion of the pros and cons of toners does get much more heated ATS, even with strong posts against the premiums paid for NT and what people think is NT. Criticizing collecting preference (generally moderns and toners) seems to be more prevalent, vocal and persistent ATS than here, just a difference in the tone of the boards. People here seem to prefer the more congenial atmosphere.

Forgive me a newb question: what the heck does ATS stand for? At The Shows? I'm sure it's in one of the WYNTK threads but there are a lot of those to comb.

But I'm with you that I too prefer the congenial atmosphere, which is what attracted me here to begin with. Last thing I'd wish to do is befoul it. A good atmosphere is one of those things a forum tends to take for granted until it's gone.

ATS stands for "across the street" with the two sides of the street being the message boards run by NGC (this board) and PCGS. NGC and PCGS are the top two TPGs. When ATS is used here, it means the PCGS board. When ATS is used on the PCGS board, it refers to this site.

I just like coins insane.gif but i am having problems likeing coins which are in the shape of things .... and GEO (so called) coins shy.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

To borrow a part of Bobby's post...

To each thier own. It wouldn't surprise me if most of us own at least one coin that really has no numismatic value due to it being decorated or something like that. Not everyone aims thier goal to collecting to making a profit. My collection involves coins that I want. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I just really think that when someone else downgrades another person's collection just because it's not something that they are interested in, that it's disrespectful. MHO
thumbsup2.gif

Numismatics is one hobby where there is no single way to enjoy it. There are so many options that anyone can find something they like and collect. If you do not like the ANACS slab or the special labels, don't buy the slab! If you don't like the PCGS special label, don't buy it! Someone likes it, otherwise the TPG would not produce them.

Rather than criticize someone buying them, why don't we find out what kind of collector buys them and see how we can better serve their collecting needs? After all, everyone can't collect top quality Saints. But if someone wants to collect Eisenhower dollars with the special label for whatever reason, let's find out what else they are interested in and encourage them further. After all, it's not about what they collect, it's just that they are involved in the Hobby of Kings in their own way.

Scott hi.gif

Nicely said Scott. Also, JKK, I wasn't really trying to insult you, just trying to make a point that each and all of us have our own opinion of coins. I don't mind if I post a coin that is "Ugly" to someone else, but hope that someone has the respect as to critisize "Ugly" with "Don't Prefer". I've posted coins that are not the best for sure, but the critique that was given was in a respectful way, give or take and occasional "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING"? 27_laughing.gif I also collect colored statehood quarters, which I like. waste of money? maybe to someone else, but not me. I have a 4, 2, and 3mo. old grandchildren that don't know about these, and will not know until they are even able to understand what money is. But I will be able to enlighten them and hopefully fascinate them with what the statehood quarters were and all the possibilities that they were. Just as if I would have been grateful to have been handed down a set of coins from my grandfather or father, no matter what type they were, just to see all the different types. As it is now, I learn and buy with what knowledge I get from this forum, my magazines, and websites. This I feel is the joy of this hobby. There may be a lot of garbage out there for sale, how much of this was running around in the days of our grandparents? Most of these non numismatic valued coins are aimed at other types of coin collectors. This just really shows me that there are more people interested in coinage in one form or another, than I actually realized. There is a big market for those type coins. This is proven by the prosperous companies that make them.

ps. Scott is correct on the way opinions are given ATS. This is why I very seldom post there.

I would simply point out that I was speaking of coins I own, not that anyone on the board owns (unless they happen to own gold-plated Ikes). Thus, the only coins I'm speaking specifically of are my own, and I'd think I can call them *spoons* with no ill reaction. I can't control what others own and wouldn't wish to. But if my father-in-law's ghost is annoyed because I think he probably wasted money buying what I consider the numismatic equivalent of pink yard flamingoes--and that's what I think--then it will just have to be annoyed, because I'm not going to pretend it made any sense to me. I can be grateful to him for what he passed on in general while still having an opinion over the unwisdom of what he bought. And if there is any one place I can discuss the wisdom or unwisdom of that, and speak my view in candour, it would be a coin collecting forum.

I completely understand what you are saying and referring to. As I have said in the past, "One mans junk is another mans treasure".

I’m pretty sure that we all agree here but I do want to say that it’s important that this board help new collectors learn the difference between problem coins and problem-free coins.

I’m pretty sure that we all agree here but I do want to say that it’s important that this board help new collectors learn the difference between problem coins and problem-free coins.

Education is always good. We also should consider keeping these forums civil to the point a newbie can feel comfortable asking questions. makepoint.gif

When I teach, I remind my students that the the only "dumb questions" are the ones never asked! Answers are good... knowledge is power. Ask your questions and gain the power! headbang.gif

Scott hi.gif