• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Out of Africa

10 posts in this topic

I am back from a whirlwind trip to South Africa. We covered nearly 24,000 miles in eight days of flying, driving, walking or whatever. This was almost a circumnavigation of the globe. 16-19 hour days kept me from doing souvenir shopping or coin collecting other than what I picked up in change. Here are some pictures of what we saw.

1807261-Zuluvillageandgarden.jpg

1807261-SmilingfacesThemba.jpg

1807261-OriginalThembaStructures.jpg1807261-CoyGirlCoolHat.jpg1807261-75CalmPreschoolStudents.jpg

These are Zulu children from Dirkiesdorp and a boarding high school called Themba. Many of these children are either orphaned or have lost one parent to AIDS. All are allowed to continue their education through the Themba Trust.

What amazed most was how well behaved the children were at all levels. There were 75 creche (preschool) students and only one teacher. This is unheard of by American standards yet these pictures were not posed. Wonderful. I hope to go back in a couple of years.

1807261-75CalmPreschoolStudents.jpg.82efd7c9e8455d37b126186796264166.jpg

Sounds and looks like a very worthwhile trip!

What was your primary purpose for going? Are you associated with the Themba Trust?

Richard,

My folks lived in Lagos Nigeria for three years 1975-1978. I had the opportunity to travel there each Christmas for a few weeks. Very interesting place, quite different now. If you want to know anything about it, just PM me. My folks are still in touch with people there so we keep up with current happenings and such.

Rey

Sounds and looks like a very worthwhile trip!

What was your primary purpose for going? Are you associated with the Themba Trust?

My primary purpose was to make face to face connections with a partner of the Themba Trust and see the work being done first hand in Gauteng and Mpumalanga Provinces of South Africa.