• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SBA Assistance

25 posts in this topic

I only have three SBA Dollars, a 1979 S Type I, 1980 S, and this 1981 S, Type I.

In the Red Book it just lists PF 65, in Coin Value it all of the PF are Cameo or Ultra Cameo, same with Numismedia. To me this coin doesn't even look like a proof to begin with. Can anybody help with identifying the probable grade?

Thanks,

Rey

1981STypeISBAObv.jpg

1981STypeISBARev-1.jpg

Sure can -

You have a 1981 - S Mint Mint set coin

This is one of the years where you had 4 coins issued

P - D - S business - S Proof

They did not 'type' the Mint Set coins ONLY the Proof Coins

Hope this helps

This is one coin series that is really screwed up.

In 1979 & 1980

Business Strikes were struck in all three mints P,D & S

Proofs were minted in S

In 1981 the Business Strikes were struck in all three mints P,D & S

but were only available in Mint Sets

Proofs were minted in S

In 1999

Business Strikes were minted in P & D

Proofs were struck in P

The 79-P came with Narrow rims & Wide rims, with the wide rim a premium

The 79 Proofs have 2 differenent mint marks, filled/clear

The 81 Proofs also have 2 different mint marks, last clear of 79' and clear S of 81'

The coin you show is a 1981-S bussiness strike included in Mint Set with just a regular mint mark and it would probably range in the MS-64+ with a possible 65

What Constitutes a Complete Set of SBA Dollar Coins:
Year Mint Mintage Type / Variety Type of Release

P

P

D

S

S

S

P

D

S

S

P

D

S

S

S

P

P

D

D

P

750,000 **

Narrow Rim (Far Date)

Wide Rim (Near Date)

Type 1 (Filled S)

Type 2 (Clear S)

Type 1 (First S)

Type 2 (Clear S)

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Proof

Proof

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Proof

Mint Set

Mint Set

Mint Set

Proof

Proof

Circulation Strike

Special Mint Set

Circulation Strike

Special Mint Set

Proof

*  Included in mintage above.

** Estimated mintage.

Thanks all for the clarification. I didn't even think to look in mint sets.

And I see now that if I had been a little more astute I could have seen the footnote in the Red Book. foreheadslap.gif

Appreciate the help.

Rey

What's all this I've been reading about a third rim type of 1979-P dollar--the narrow rim? In a thread in the Numismedia forum, there was some confusing talk about three types--the normal rim, the wide rim with a significant premium, and the narrow rim with a slight premium. I had never heard of this third type, and there were no pictures. I've looked at countless 1979-P dollars, and I've noticed only the two types. Would someone please show me about the narrow rim variety?

There are only 2 rim varities of 1979 SBA's - Wide and Narrow Rim

These varieties are sometimes refered to as "Far Date" and "Near Date". This is actually inaccurate as the date was not moved, but instead the border was widened. The Mint began striking the 1979-P SBA Dollars with the "narrow rim". Late in 1979 the border was widened to give the coin a more aesthetic appearance. The "narrow rim" variety is found on all 1979 dollars from all of the mints. The 1979 "wide rim" variety can only be found on the "P" mint issues. The "wide rim" variety was used for the remainder of the series. According to information provided by George E. Hunter, the Assistant Director of Technology for the U.S. Mint at the time, there were 643 "wide rim" dies used at the Philadelphia Mint in 1979. With an estimated 250,000 strikes per die, that would give a mintage of 160,750,000 1979-P "Wide Rim" Susan B. Anthony Dollars, or nearly 45% of all 1979-P Anthony Dollars minted.

sba-narrow-rim.jpg

Narrow Rim (Far Date)

sba-wide-rim.jpg

Wide Rim (Near Date)

Thank you, WoodenJefferson. I was about to freak out that I had missed something!

don't freak out,when in doubt just check e-bay to see if one is up for sale!

foreheadslap.gif

Here's a better image of the table - that's what the print screen key is for, y'all wink.gif

1807604-sba_dollars.jpg

Thanks Micael, but the print screen is to print, the pic is to save. 27_laughing.gif

That last one is a jpeg file so it can be saved as a pic. It is a lot less "warped" than mine was.

Rey

Yea I got it too Rey. I just saved it over the one you posted. Thank ya both. I keep a folder of interesting info on coins for future reference. The websites I usually have to copy them and then paste them to a Word sheet. These pics are much easier to save. thumbsup2.gif

What's all this I've been reading about a third rim type of 1979-P dollar--the narrow rim? In a thread in the Numismedia forum, there was some confusing talk about three types--the normal rim, the wide rim with a significant premium, and the narrow rim with a slight premium. I had never heard of this third type, and there were no pictures. I've looked at countless 1979-P dollars, and I've noticed only the two types. Would someone please show me about the narrow rim variety?

I actually almost got burned by zeal in a recent ebay auction over this. I've been collecting wide rims since I was a kid, and in the last year or so, have gotten back into coins more seriously. I've been trying to put together an NGC grading set just as some sort of goal instead of the random acquisition I had been doing initially. I found an ebay listing last week and saw the words "NGC" "1979-P SBA" "MS-67" and "rim". When I saw it for about 1/5 of the price that the guides have it listed for, my zeal took over before common sense did. I got the coin monday morning and thought the date relative to the rim didn't look right, then noticed that it had been attributed as "narrow rim". Apparently at some point NGC started attributing 79P's as either wide or narrow rim, which wasn't the case last I checked. Even further confusion is that the pop lookup on 67's is about the same number for both wide and narrow attributions.

Luckily the seller is one of the best I've run into on ebay since I started using the site 9 years ago, and he's more than happy to take the coin back, despite the fact that it was totally my fault in not reading carefully enough.

Got me wondering...I know threads have popped up about bad sellers here from time to time, is there some sort of thread collecting good sellers? I want to make sure the community knows that this guy is absolutely fabulous as a seller (robertj1900), but can't seem to find any thread like that.

The print screen key will take a screen shot of whatever's on your screen at the moment and send it to the clipboard. You can then paste it into an image editor and play with it. I don't think the print screen key has actually 'printed' anything in quite a few years (the odd application aside).

I only have three SBA Dollars, a 1979 S Type I, 1980 S, and this 1981 S, Type I.

In the Red Book it just lists PF 65, in Coin Value it all of the PF are Cameo or Ultra Cameo, same with Numismedia. To me this coin doesn't even look like a proof to begin with. Can anybody help with identifying the probable grade?

Thanks,

Rey

It's hard to tell from the picture but that '81-S is in about the top 5% for the date.

A very small number of these were sold to dealers in bags. They were from excess production for mint sets and at least some were actually removed from assembled sets.

The other denominations were mixed in with 1982 coinage. Of course none of these were saved and there would be very few in each bag probably but wouldn't it be ironic if someone thinking he had a valuable bag of 1982 dimes opened it to find 1981 mint set coins. In real life it would probably be more likely to find the NMM coins though.

Maybe that "third" rim was in reference to the 1999 SBA's. The 1999's were slightly different. smile.gif

Actually, I think the others were right that the confusion arose from the "narrow rim" slab designation for the regular rim coins. I don't think the rims changed any in 1999 though the coin was a complete redesign (like the 1921 Morgans). The fields are flatter and the protrait is larger on the 1999. That gives them a competely different look.

Maybe that "third" rim was in reference to the 1999 SBA's. The 1999's were slightly different. smile.gif

Actually, I think the others were right that the confusion arose from the "narrow rim" slab designation for the regular rim coins. I don't think the rims changed any in 1999 though the coin was a complete redesign (like the 1921 Morgans). The fields are flatter and the protrait is larger on the 1999. That gives them a competely different look.

thumbsup2.gif